SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-06-20, 04:01 PM   #1
Kenzie

Default Internet security

Afternoon all, when I bought my laptop last year I got a years free Bullguard security subscription thrown in. The subscription ends in a few days and I was wondering what is best to replace it with. I have read many reviews of free and paid for software and each have their pros and cons. Just wondering what you lot use? My Bullguard renewal is about £40 but I have seen others from around £14 up.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-20, 04:30 PM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Internet security

I think it's a bit like asking which tyres are best.

I used to use (free) Avast anti-virus which worked well but they started getting a bit intrusive with tips and suggestions. They also offer a subscription service which has more features.
I now use the built in Win10 Defender for a/v and use Malwarebytes for, well, malware (they offer subscription too). I also keep a copy of EEK (Emsi-soft Emergency Kit) which is another anti-malware s/w.

I run them weekly or after any streaming. If you run ubuntu or similar it's said you don't need an a/v program.
Old 10-06-20, 04:32 PM   #3
Kenzie

Sorry, should have said Windows 10 laptop. I have read about Windows Defender, how does it compare to other free AV? I have been looking at Bitdefender as well.

Old 10-06-20, 05:03 PM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

According to this article Defender is good, better than it was (!), but not as good as some. Bitdefender was rated better.
https://www.safetydetectives.com/blo...nough-for-you/
Old 10-06-20, 05:20 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

It depends how IT savvy you are and your exposure. Microsoft now build AV protection into their operating systems since Win 8 and it's mostly as good as the free stuff out there and better than some paid stuff.

However Microsoft are having a hell of a time just leaving the door wide open to new exploits at the moment. If you are likely to 'expose yourself' often enough that you are caught inbetween a vulnerability being released and a Windows update plugging it you might want something more advanced. By expose yourself I don't mean leaping out of some bushes in a trenchcoat I mean - clicking on dodgy emails, download things illegally or regularly stream things away from mainstream outlets or click on pop ups.

Check with your ISP or bank, sometimes they give you paid for stuff free. Plusnet and Barclays I think are two that do. Paid for wise I'm a bit out of touch with domestic products but Malwarebytes, Kaspersky, Panda will be ok. You should also decide the value of what's on your computer (and not backed up to cloud), if you're going to get stung it will mostly be painless unless it's ransomeware - you'll either hit a known one and remedy it or it will be easier to wipe and start again.

If I was going to part with any cash it would be for a secure cloud backup and perhaps a vpn.
Old 10-06-20, 05:33 PM   #6
Kenzie

Reasonably tech savvy. I tend to keep most of my files on a separate HD in a dock. Not looked at Panda, heard bad things about privacy and Avast, and AVG just being a poor relation of Avast. Bullguard want too much. Any thoughts on Norton Plus? Laptop is mostly for gaming more than anything, so trying to avoid a performance hit. Looks like HSBC might provide twelve months of McAfee

Last edited by Kenzie; 10-06-20 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-06-20, 06:13 PM   #7
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
Reasonably tech savvy. I tend to keep most of my files on a separate HD in a dock. Not looked at Panda, heard bad things about privacy and Avast, and AVG just being a poor relation of Avast. Bullguard want too much. Any thoughts on Norton Plus? Laptop is mostly for gaming more than anything, so trying to avoid a performance hit. Looks like HSBC might provide twelve months of McAfee

Unless seperate HD is routinely disconnected it won't protect against ransomeware spread. Norton are better than they were...but I wouldn't

If you're fairly savvy and have similar habits to the majority of us (visiting the same mainstream legitimate sites) I wouldn't bother. Unless you host a gaming server and have the associated target on your back.
Get a free firewall to block any unwarranted connected, use the built in AV software or disable it and use a free one.

The whole antivirus market was built on Microsoft's basic failure to protect consumers of their product, they started around Win 8 time (IIRC because of an EU law directive). There's been a number of years where it's not been required, now is a bit of a funny time with ransomeware and history may repeat... but in my view the antivirus companies either have a cure or they don't (paid or free), unless you are buying an advanced one that can spot uncharacteristic processes that could be a new attack before it's even identified as a malicious attack, I'd leave it.
Old 10-06-20, 06:15 PM   #8
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post

Check your PM's.....

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-20, 06:17 PM   #9
Kenzie

I read that WD doesn't update very often, so can leave you quite vulnerable. I have my OS on an SSD, some programs on a 1tb internal drive and most of my files are stored on a separate HD that is only connected when I need it.
Old 10-06-20, 06:18 PM   #10
Kenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
Check your PM's.....
I did see, still not 100% sure on Bullguard at the mo, didn't rate highly but I used it as it was free.