SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-02-06, 08:23 PM   #1
RingDing

Default Scot Oiler Dual Injector

Wotcha,

Just fitted one of these to my K3. Rather than pay the £20-25 for the kit I went to the scotoiler web site and ordered the components I'd need.

http://www.scottoiler.com/pc/viewCat...?idCategory=10

Worked out about £10! You don't get the fitting instructions, obviously, but it's not difficult to work out.

Just thought I'd share this bit of knowledge in case there are any others out there as tight as me!

P.

3x Honda C110 - phut-phut-phut
KTM Duke 690 - brum-braaaaaaa!!!!!
BSA C25 - brum-braa-braa
RD350LC Ring-ding-phut-clatter-££££££
RingDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-06, 08:37 PM   #2
Carsick

'counts down'
Old 05-02-06, 08:45 PM   #3
Fuzz

Cool info I've fitted a couple of these to different bikes so I should be able to order exactly the parts I need next time and save a couple of quid.
Old 06-02-06, 02:41 PM   #4
ujoni08

Default dual injector

Ringding, I'm interested in doing this conversion too. Could you tell me exactly which of the parts you ordered (the site shows quite a few parts)? I have a K5 SVS with Scottoiler fitted by dealer at new. It only oils the outer plates at the moment, so a dual injector sounds great!
Jon.
Old 06-02-06, 02:43 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
'counts down'
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 02:48 PM   #6
Fuzz

Default Re: dual injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujoni08
Ringding, I'm interested in doing this conversion too. Could you tell me exactly which of the parts you ordered (the site shows quite a few parts)? I have a K5 SVS with Scottoiler fitted by dealer at new. It only oils the outer plates at the moment, so a dual injector sounds great!
Jon.
You'll need this and this.
Old 06-02-06, 02:53 PM   #7
BillyC
Mega Poster

Mr Squid will undoubtedly explain this far more elequently than I.

As far as I know, there are two reasons why you oil your chain - firstly to stop the outer surfaces getting rusty; and secondly to lubricate the contact with the sprockets.

On the second of these points, this really doesn't take much oil, and I don't see how the dual injector really helps this. Perhaps if you're riding in exceptionally filthy conditions and need the extra flow of oil to wash the chain?

If anything, by fitting this, you'll just use more oil, as well as incur the expense of buying it in the first place?
Old 06-02-06, 02:58 PM   #8
Fuzz

I think the idea behind the dual injector is to keep the O-rings lubricated evenly I know that on my other bike with the single injector, the inside of the links did not really get the benefit of the oil. The dual injector on the SV seems to have cured this. So maybe it does work?
Old 06-02-06, 03:29 PM   #9
RingDing

I've always been told that the purpose of lubing your chain is to keep the o-rings lubricated and to lube the contact with the sprocket. (Not the same thing).

With the normal Scott Oiler only the outer O-rings were getting lubed. I had the same problem on my Triumph Trophy. In fact it hardly worked it's way onto the chain rollers either.

Fitting the dual injector won't use more oil AFAIK as the drip rate is set at the reservoir. If you have two outlets at the chain end I think you're getting half a drip at each. It just spreads the delivery of the lube.

I'm prepared to be proved wrong though!

P.

3x Honda C110 - phut-phut-phut
KTM Duke 690 - brum-braaaaaaa!!!!!
BSA C25 - brum-braa-braa
RD350LC Ring-ding-phut-clatter-££££££
RingDing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 03:55 PM   #10
Oneiros

Default Re: Scot Oiler Dual Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingDing
Wotcha,

Just fitted one of these to my K3. Rather than pay the £20-25 for the kit I went to the scotoiler web site and ordered the components I'd need.

http://www.scottoiler.com/pc/viewCat...?idCategory=10

Worked out about £10! You don't get the fitting instructions, obviously, but it's not difficult to work out.

Just thought I'd share this bit of knowledge in case there are any others out there as tight as me!

P.
Here are the fitting instructions
http://www.scottoiler.com/UserFiles/...nstruction.pdf