SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-06-06, 04:11 PM   #1
mitchbligh

Default Broken rear brake calliper bracket!

I had a bit of a mare today. I somehow lost the bolt from the tension bar on my rear brakes and when applying emergency braking, the calliper locked onto the disk and spun around until it hit the top of the swing-arm! I was lucky the thing didn't lock up the rear wheel as it snapped off at the mounting bracket... Anyone else suffered from this? Anyone breaking an 01 SV???
Old 17-06-06, 10:45 PM   #2
NedSVS

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hasn't happened to me, but I do have a rear calliper mounting bracket you can have. Just PM me if you want it and I'll get bit off to you ASAP.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-06, 08:53 AM   #3
mitchbligh

You have PM my friend!
Old 19-06-06, 12:12 PM   #4
jambo
Mega Poster

Same thing happened to me on my bandit6 a long time ago but thankfully all was well and it just needed another bolt
Old 19-06-06, 02:05 PM   #5
mitchbligh

NedSVS has saved the day! What a nice man!
Cheers mate!
Mitch
Old 19-06-06, 02:17 PM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

I had the bolt fall out.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-06, 02:19 PM   #7
mitchbligh

I highly recomend checking them periodically. I'm lucky not to have locked up the rear end!
Old 19-06-06, 03:42 PM   #8
RandyO

Default Re: Broken rear brake calliper bracket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbligh
I had a bit of a mare today. I somehow lost the bolt from the tension bar on my rear brakes and when applying emergency braking, the calliper locked onto the disk and spun around until it hit the top of the swing-arm! I was lucky the thing didn't lock up the rear wheel as it snapped off at the mounting bracket... Anyone else suffered from this? Anyone breaking an 01 SV???

yes, my stupidity

a couple weeks ago I was on holiday at Deals Gap, I swapped my street wheels for my dirty wheels, inadvertently forgot to check that bolt when I swapped wheels

a couple days later, on a group ride everybody was way ahead of me, they stopped at an eatery for lunch, I went flying by and one of the guys chandes me down, when he caught up with me a couple miles down the road I hit my brakes

the only thing holding the caliper was the rupper brake line that immediatly stretched and snapped when I hit the brakes the caliper went fluing around the axle and hit the swingarm and snapped the mount

then the caliper let go and went flying thru my rim... tore it up pretty good

luckily a cell phone call, and a couple hours I had a truck picking me up, dropped my bike of at repair shop, had him put my street wheel back on, weld the bracket and put a new brake line on, I was only out of commission about 4 hours total

when I got back from holiday, I had my local dealer order me the new mount and the welded one is replaced with a new one now

going to drop my wheel off at http://www.mcwheel.com/ and hopefully they can repair it

whaen all the banging & noise was happening, I thought my chain let go