SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-10-06, 04:38 PM   #1
arenalife

Default Wet weather kit, what's the best plan?

I've got a full set of armoured Richa clothing but it's lost all it's waterproofness, I've ordered some stuff to spray on and get it back. They were only ever about 85% waterproof though.

Are rainsuits designed to be used over these? I'd be getting pretty michelin man if so. They're pretty cheap so I don't mind getting one to try for downpour days.

What do you do?
Old 01-10-06, 04:41 PM   #2
valleyboy

Waterproof coveralls over waterproof clothing on a really cold day.. otherwise you just cook to death.... no matter how waterproof your jacket and trousers say they are, I find the coveralls are always far superiour, and do a very good job of keeping the wind off you at the same time....
Old 01-10-06, 05:35 PM   #3
BILLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyboy
Waterproof coveralls over waterproof clothing on a really cold day.. otherwise you just cook to death.... no matter how waterproof your jacket and trousers say they are, I find the coveralls are always far superiour, and do a very good job of keeping the wind off you at the same time....
I'll second that I road 120 mile in the ****ing rain down the A1 comming home from a bike rallie whearing a HG trible over suit and the only thing that got wet was my hands because I forgot my water proof gloves
Old 01-10-06, 05:52 PM   #4
Grinch

well i've for the last 2 years worn frank thomas aqua gear on a a 130 mile journey to work. which where treated and washed with nitwax and the trouser have only given up now. with the stitchin I the crotch giving up. while the did some times leak, it just ment the treat ment needed renewing.
i'm trying some hein gerike trouses now that have a waterproof guarantee, so we'll see how that goes. if well i'll replace the jacket too.
Old 01-10-06, 05:57 PM   #5
hovis

i am looking to buy some WPs wots leathers with aqua suit on top like??

ill prob go for spada gear jabba recamended...then if its **** i can blame him
Old 01-10-06, 06:32 PM   #6
RandyO

unless it's really hot, I wear my heated gear if I have to ride a long distance in the rain

I have discovered that no matter how waterproof I am, eventually I get wet, I don't mind, cause with my heated gear at least I am still warm
Old 02-10-06, 01:03 AM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

I just wear regular waterproofs from a camping shop- there's nothing special about bike waterproofs, except in how they're secured to prevent flapping, so I spent some time finding a set that's tight over my leathers to prevent flap.

My winter jacket's waterproof enough that I don't usually bother with an overjacket, but my summer textile jacket's just sprung a leak at each shoulder. I've got a Linkin Park (don't laugh) tour jacket that I got when I did some boxhumping for them at the SECC a few years back, it works really well- a little bit breathable, a good bit waterproof- and it's a great fit over that jacket.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 09:52 AM   #8
Kate

I wear Rukka's. So far (except when damaged) they have kept me warm and dry all year round.
Old 02-10-06, 10:48 AM   #9
Grinch

Looks like I need to invest in that jacket... got a wet belly and arms today.
Old 02-10-06, 10:55 AM   #10
thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
I wear Rukka's. So far (except when damaged) they have kept me warm and dry all year round.
My Rukka trousers have been outstanding - but that's good because they were expensive!!!