SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

For Sale - SV's and SV related items For SV's and SV spare parts only. 650 or 1000 No other items Unsanctioned trade ads will be deleted as will spam and chat.

Old 25-02-13, 10:37 PM   #1
junj.chan

Default SV650 SK5 (with cartridge forks!)

Hi All,

I'm selling my SV which I've completely replaced (and improved) the suspension on. Effectively, the forks have been rebuilt and the shock replaced so it now rides much, much, better than standard. Especially when you hit sharp bumps, pot holes etc. (high speed compression). If you want the details on the suspension read a bit lower down or ask me. I wouldn't recommend the bike to anybody over ~80kg though, you'll probably find it too soft! (I'm 70kg). I'm looking for £1750 (there's some cosmetic damage but its mechanically perfect and has lots of extras)

This is the full list of modificaitons:
  • Custom front forks. (CBR600F cartridge internals & stanchions)
  • Replaced rear shock. (From 750 SRAD)
  • Corbin front saddle (great for touring)
  • Belly pan
  • Scorpion oval exhaust
  • Puig double bubble screen
  • Carbon rear hugger
  • Fender extender
  • Heated grips
  • R&G crash bungs
  • (Scottoiler) (May get transferred to the GSX-R)
1.jpg
5.jpg

The bike has just under 16k miles, is taxed and MOT'd till 10/2013. The tyres have plenty of tread left (Dunlop Sportsmarts), they only got fitted a few weeks before I got my new bike.

Now for the bad bit. Unfortunately, I was rather stupid a couple of years ago and went for a ride in the snow... So, the bike has been through a slow speed lowside. The damage is cosmetic only, please take a look at the pictures and feel free to ask if you would like any additional pictures/video.
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

But, the bike runs great and there are no mechanical issues at all. I'm only selling because I can't afford to keep running two bikes! (The GSX-R needs new C+S and is due tax, MOT, and insurance in a few months ). The Corbin saddle is great too, I couldn't stand the stock seat but I had no pains at all on 4.5k trip to the Austrian Alps (would recommend!). It also reduces the reach to the floor (probably by ~1") so it's great for not so tall people like myself too. The best part of the bike has to be the suspension though! It doesn't have any of the harshness of the standard setup and it has loads more feel. It's pretty much perfect for road riding, especially with the bumpy roads we get here in the UK, but may be a bit soft for the track (all dependant on your weight though).

All major service items (e.g. valve clearances) have been carried out by a main dealer. Minor items I've done myself (e.g. oil changes) and they have been fully documented so I have a full history of work carried out on the bike.

Test rides are definitely welcome but please bring: license; proof of insurance; and full cash deposit though. I'm based in London E1 (Aldgate East). I uploaded some pictures to my google drive but couldn't work out how to link them, so have a look here for some more pictures.

Suspension Details
Front Forks:
The front forks are mash up between the standard SV forks and those from a Honda CBR600F. What I did was mate the lowers/sliders form the SV to the uppers/stanchions off the CBR with the internal oily bits from the CBR. The BIG benefit of this is that the CBR uses cartridge forks, instead of the damper rod system in the SV. This gives much better damping control and solved my biggest bug bear with the standard forks. Damper rod forks essentially lock up under high speed compression! Which is why the SV is so harsh over sharp bumps. The cartridges have been re-sprung and re-valved by myself (with a bit of expert help) for the weight of the SV and myself. I have the valving written down and I'll provide this with the bike ofc. Spring rate/stiffness has been increased at the front. The only downside with the new forks is that they stick through the top yoke by ~5cm because the stanchions are longer. I did find this very useful for mounting a sat nav though using a 3rd clip-on though (yours for free if you want it!).

Rear Shock:
The rear shock was completely replaced with the item from a 750 SRAD GSX-R. The new shock has much better controlled damping, but more importantly has a significantly softer spring. It works great in combination with the stiffer front to balance out the bike (IMO the standard setup is way too soft upfront and way too stiff out back). The new shock makes the bike sit 5mm lower at the rear so I also dropped the front another 5mm to compensate.

Last edited by junj.chan; 25-02-13 at 10:40 PM.