SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: What do you prefer, Progressive or Linear Springs?
Progressive. 3 50.00%
Linear 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-07-08, 05:57 PM   #1
Bad Intentionz

Default JHS preload top caps for curvy and springs.

I'm currently sorting out my front end and had a couple of questions.

When looking through some bits on the JHS website I saw the adjustable preload top caps and spacer/shim kit...

http://www.jhsracing.co.uk/~jhsracin...susp_steer.htm

Has anyone used or know anyone who has used these and are they worth the cash?

I also thought I'd add a poll on the thread as I've heard a lot of mixed feelings about progressive and linear springs, I thought this would be the easiest way to find out peoples thoughts on the subject

In advance... Thanks
Old 17-07-08, 07:43 PM   #2
drag

Default Re: JHS preload top caps for curvy and springs.

I have linears with 15W oil and a set of caps from robinsons, there dialed in about half way, and the whole front end feels a million times firmer
Old 17-07-08, 07:55 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Preload adjusters aren't necessary, once you've decided on a setting you probably won't change it, just use some suitable tube for your spacer, which you'll likely need to cut to an appropriate size anyway as most springs aren't supplied with spacers, and from your question I imagine you're considering changing springs.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-08, 08:53 PM   #4
Bad Intentionz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Preload adjusters aren't necessary, once you've decided on a setting you probably won't change it, just use some suitable tube for your spacer, which you'll likely need to cut to an appropriate size anyway as most springs aren't supplied with spacers, and from your question I imagine you're considering changing springs.
I take it I could just replace the standard spacer inside the fork tube with some tubing of the same type and lengthen it or should I use a seperate piece of tubing on top of the spacer to increase the preload?

next week I'll be putting new springs in. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on what people prefer. I changed the fork oil the other week as it's never been done in over 20,000 miles. I put in 15w oil but it feels horrible. It seems like theres not enough rebound or something?
Old 17-07-08, 09:06 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Intentionz View Post
I take it I could just replace the standard spacer inside the fork tube with some tubing of the same type and lengthen it or should I use a seperate piece of tubing on top of the spacer to increase the preload?
I'd use one piece, but yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Intentionz View Post
next week I'll be putting new springs in. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on what people prefer. I changed the fork oil the other week as it's never been done in over 20,000 miles. I put in 15w oil but it feels horrible. It seems like theres not enough rebound or something?
I'd consider 15W a dab stiff on standard springs.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-08, 09:25 PM   #6
Bad Intentionz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post

I'd consider 15W a dab stiff on standard springs.
Thats what I thought. how much would you recommend increasing the length of the spacer by each time, 5mm or so?
Old 18-07-08, 08:29 AM   #7
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Spacer length will depend on the springs you fit. I'd assume you are fitting springs with resistance (dunno proper term) suitable for your weight? If that's the case, try the standard spacers first and see how the pre-load is with those - you can decide after trying this if you need longer or shorter spacers.

Pre-load is used to set the amount the bike sags under your weight, so there is no hard and fast rule on spacer length required. You are aiming to have a few mm (5-10?) of sag in the suspension under the bikes weight and 35-40 with you on board in full kit. Those are the numbers I favour for road riding, others use different numbers depending on riding style / preference.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-08, 11:39 PM   #8
Bad Intentionz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Spacer length will depend on the springs you fit. I'd assume you are fitting springs with resistance (dunno proper term) suitable for your weight? If that's the case, try the standard spacers first and see how the pre-load is with those - you can decide after trying this if you need longer or shorter spacers.

Pre-load is used to set the amount the bike sags under your weight, so there is no hard and fast rule on spacer length required. You are aiming to have a few mm (5-10?) of sag in the suspension under the bikes weight and 35-40 with you on board in full kit. Those are the numbers I favour for road riding, others use different numbers depending on riding style / preference.
Nice one, Thanks. I emailed Race Lab earlier on today. They do have springs (linear) suitable for my weight. They're going to see if they have them in stock and let me know.

Thanks to all for the advice.
Old 19-07-08, 10:16 AM   #9
sv_rider1990

sorry to thread jack but this has been buggin me wot is "better" or a favoured choice among curvey owners progressive or linear springs?
Old 19-07-08, 12:34 PM   #10
Robw#70

Progressive springs if your going to be happy to leave it at that, if you want to do more to the forks ie emulators, then you need linear as you cant set the damping for a variable spring rate.

Progressive springs are good at what they are intended for ie their progressiveness makes up for when there is poor damping and a cost effective fix, but ultimatelt linear and correct damping will perform better.