SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-06-12, 10:06 PM   #1
Sizzle Media

Default Sticky gear pedal issues

Hi

I replaced my gear pedal after breaking the tip but it's sticking every time I change gears. It goes up in gears fine, but wont block shift anymore. will only drop down to second and then seems to feel like the pedal is slipping. You have to stomp the pedal down to get in to first.

Anyone had this problem or know A fix

Cheers
Old 24-06-12, 10:33 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sticky gear pedal issues

Which bike?
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-12, 10:35 PM   #3
Sizzle Media

Sv650 > curvy
Old 24-06-12, 10:47 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Is it a new lever or a second hand one? If it's used one then:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
The problem is most probably the lever pivot being a bit sticky. The change mechanism isn't able to reset itself between gears, if you lift the lever with your foot between changes it should work fine.

To fix it properly:

Remove the lever from the footrest and remove the fibre bush from inside the lever *very carefully* - the bush isn't available separately and it's easy to damage - if you look close you can see where the bush is split, gently get behind it and roll it up a little you'll be able to pull it out, if you look inside the lever you'll see where corrosion has built up behind the bush, expanded, and squeezed the lever onto the footrest pivot, causing it to drag, if you gently scrape away the corrosion smear the area with a little grease so it doesn't corrode so easily and reassemble it should be fine.l
If it's a new lever then the corrosion won't be a problem, but the principle is the same, also make sure nothing got bent/distorted when the lever got damaged
If the lever isn't perfectly free the selector mechanism centring spring can't reset the claws between changes causing the exact problem you're experiencing, but if you reset the lever with your foot you can ride the bike.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-12, 07:07 AM   #5
Sizzle Media

That sounds just like my problem. I'll give that a try and report back.

Thanks for the help
Old 25-06-12, 10:56 PM   #6
Sizzle Media

As above, I didn't remove the bush from the old pedal and just slotted the new pedal on. However I dismantled the gear pedal, removed the old plasticky bush and tried to fit it on the new pedal, doesn't fit! And theres no way the footpeg is slotting through. Seems to be some kind of metal internal on the new pedal. It's properly lodged and don't want to try and knock it through, so resorted to putting the old pedal back on with temp fix. Any ideas what to do next?
Old 28-06-12, 08:23 AM   #7
Sizzle Media

As the MOT was due, the bike went to the garage and let them sort it out for me. Slick a smooth gear changes again. The garage also sorted my front brake calipers, cables and throttle and it feels like a fresh bike again so a big shout to Spring Court garage in Rochdale.