SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-03-19, 11:03 AM   #7101
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Bikers who think owning a 1000cc superbike/super naked makes them the bees knees, like it's some sort of right of passage to an exclusive club where you can't even park in the same area as the non-club plebs. The kind of riders who need an engineering set square to check tread depth on their new superdeduper Pirelli doubly double corsa RRRS summer edition-no damp days semi race slick tyres.

I'll wait for you up the road

What about the ones with R1200GS who think it makes them Charlie Borman / Ewan Mcgregor even though they never leave tarmac - is the R1200GS the motorbike equivalent of the Range Rover... ( Chelsea tractor ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 03-03-19 at 11:16 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 02:45 PM   #7102
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
What about the ones with R1200GS who think it makes them Charlie Borman / Ewan Mcgregor even though they never leave tarmac - is the R1200GS the motorbike equivalent of the Range Rover... ( Chelsea tractor ).
I totally get this, surely every GS fully laden with panniers isn't on an adventure?

I've went out with panniers on once (empty) and deep down I felt like a right knob
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 05:27 PM   #7103
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Are we getting all self righteous on here now too lol, just like the power ranger sports bike posers and the adventure bike captain sensible types

So some like the power ranger / sports bike image and spend silly money on sports bikes they hardly ride and can't ride well...it's their choice and it makes them happy. The bonus for everyone else is cheap s/h low mileage sports bikes on the market so everyone can justify the thrill of riding a nice thou sports if we want without a £15K-20K price tag!

Some people get a GS and never hit the dirt, we'll maybe they've found that that style of bike can munch miles and leave you feeling fresh at the end of the day unlike almost any other style of bike....or maybe they just want a bike that will do anything they ask of it if they choose too (I have a Tiger 1200, this style of bike is great to go far on, weekly commutes cross country with a load of luggage are a none issue on one, same couldn't be said for most other bike styles except the large tourers)

We're all bikers!

My gripe of the day are unnecessary gripes...the summer will be here soon and all will be well in the world again, I promise x

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 03-03-19 at 05:30 PM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 06:37 PM   #7104
Chris_SVS

Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-19, 10:56 PM   #7105
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Keith Flint.

We were at school together, though I didn't know him very well. We cared for the school rabbits. But I loved Prodigy, went to loads of their gigs, and then saw Keith a couple of years ago at a track day as he loved his bikes.

He looked like he'd scare your granny but was actually a sweet kind soul more likely to help her across the road.

He stayed living in Essex, even took over the local pub for a while.

He gave me some of the best nights at the most energy filled joyous gigs I've ever been to.

Whatever demons he was battling got the better of him. I'm so very sad he couldn't overcome them.

RIP

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-19, 09:54 AM   #7106
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post

We're all bikers!
That is generalisation in the extreme, like saying 'we are all just car drivers' and we well know that that covers a spectrum of sensible drivers right up to posers and nutters. I remember a Harley owner who used to own a gym opposite where I worked, he would turn up in his singlet vest and lycra pants and white shoes ( designed to show his muscular and fake tanned body) and get of his bike outside the gym and takes his helmet of and basically pose with his bike for 10 minutes, looking around to see who was looking at him. There are plenty of poser bikers out there who have bigger boys toys than anyone else..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 10:39 AM   #7107
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Keith Flint.

Whatever demons he was battling got the better of him. I'm so very sad he couldn't overcome them.

RIP

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Amen to that. Put a Prodigy playlist on Spotify last night when I heard - really like some of their high energy tracks that seem to lift you up and up and up.
Old 05-03-19, 10:54 AM   #7108
keith_d
Mega Poster

Seeing the Satnav thread resurrected reminded one of my pet gripes.

TomTom offer 'lifetime' map updates with some of their satnav systems. So what does lifetime mean? Lifetime of the user? Lifetime of the satnav??

No, lifetime means "as long as we feel like supporting it".

I won't be rushing to buy another TomTom with "lifetime" maps.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 09:07 PM   #7109
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Ordered a new front tyre for the VFR today. There's still life in the Michelin pr4 but the handling has gone to pot. The surface of the tyre has 'cupped' which is very odd. The brakes don't appear to have a bind spot and suspension damping is standard. A quick query on the web suggests that this is not unusual for this tyre. The way around it is to run 40psi from day one, so too late for me.
I've gone back to continental and a road attack 3

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-19, 08:54 AM   #7110
Seeker
Mega Poster

Morgan cars have been bought by an Italian company. I'm so tired of everything British being sold off.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote