SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-03-19, 09:50 AM   #101
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: 500GP

I've missed this thread.
Old 10-03-19, 12:43 PM   #102
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

It turns out there was a couple of other things I'd missed off to bring us up to date.

The wiring loom looked to be in quite good condition so I decided to clean it and rewrap it before installing it on the bike along with the little red box and the reg rec. The rear battery tray and storage compartment was then installed along with the cleaned up brake light and repainted indicators (black Hemerite).

Next was back to the 3-in-1 mill to make a rear brake torque arm. I ordered one from America but if failed to arrive so I decided to make my own. A simple task of cutting out the right shape from a bit of aluminium plate, drilling the mounting holes and then milling a little pocket down the centre for looks.

It looks good on the bike but I may have another go at it as I'm not 100% on this one as it was slightly longer then the travel of the mills bed which meant that I had to reposition the piece and the depth of the cut changed slightly over the distance. Again, I'm reaching the machines limitations.

But one part I made was fairly straight forward and I'm happy with, and this was just a couple of spacers for the ignition barrel. As I'm using the TCR top yoke the barrel would sit very proud of the yoke and the steering lock would not engage.

I think that TCR did supply some spacers for this but obviously I didn't get them. So it was a simple task to make my own, just a case of picking an appropriate size of the OD and ID of the tube and parting both off at the correct length.

And next I will start to explain the delay.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 12:56 PM   #103
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
It turns out there was a couple of other things I'd missed off to bring us up to date.

The wiring loom looked to be in quite good condition so I decided to clean it and rewrap it before installing it on the bike along with the little red box and the reg rec. The rear battery tray and storage compartment was then installed along with the cleaned up brake light and repainted indicators (black Hemerite).

Next was back to the 3-in-1 mill to make a rear brake torque arm. I ordered one from America but if failed to arrive so I decided to make my own. A simple task of cutting out the right shape from a bit of aluminium plate, drilling the mounting holes and then milling a little pocket down the centre for looks.

It looks good on the bike but I may have another go at it as I'm not 100% on this one as it was slightly longer then the travel of the mills bed which meant that I had to reposition the piece and the depth of the cut changed slightly over the distance. Again, I'm reaching the machines limitations.

But one part I made was fairly straight forward and I'm happy with, and this was just a couple of spacers for the ignition barrel. As I'm using the TCR top yoke the barrel would sit very proud of the yoke and the steering lock would not engage.

I think that TCR did supply some spacers for this but obviously I didn't get them. So it was a simple task to make my own, just a case of picking an appropriate size of the OD and ID of the tube and parting both off at the correct length.

And next I will start to explain the delay.

Your attention to detail is fastidious, I would not have the patience to finish a project like yours to such a high standard. I enjoy bike projects - but the sort of thing that can be done in a month or so for a few hundred pounds (like the Bloop and my K6).

You are a better man than I am Gunga Din.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 17-03-19, 01:07 AM   #104
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Now for the reason I've been a little delayed with progress. Basically in making these little parts for the bike I've gained a bit of an interest in machining, and so I've been spending a lot of time in the Makerspace. And in doing so I've become a fair bit involved in the Makerspace.

Now for a brief history of Swindon Makerspace, it started in the basement of the Museum of Computing in 2012 but eventually grew to big enough to need its own space. So the Makerspace moved to its own industrial unit. The unit was great but as more members joined and more equipment was brought it more space was required. So in 2017 after I had joined we started the expansion process. This was a two part process, we expanded into the subunit when the previous tenant vacated and then we added a mezzanine floor.

This mezzanine floor was funded and built by the spaces members. It took us about 9 months to compete the building work so most of my free time was spent on the building works. We did our own brickwork for the support pillars and installed the RSJ's, added the joists and flooring as well as the stairs, a couple of stud walls, some plastering, and a lot of painting and decorating.

At the end of the process we more than doubled our floor print and could separate the dirty workshop down stairs for metalwork and woodwork from the upstairs electronics areas.

Now I don't have many pictures from before and after of the build apart from one taken as we were putting the flooring down, which considering it took nearly 9 months is a bit odd, so for visual enjoyment here some pictures of bits I made on the 3-in-1 for my Grom. I did spacers for the wheels and swing arm bushings to improve an aftermarket arm which I quite enjoyed making.

Now if you are any good with maths you'd notice that there was a longer delay than 9 months.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 17-03-19, 01:24 AM   #105
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Well the addition of the mezzanine floor meant that we had more room for more bigger and better tools, so you can imagine the reaction when a Bridgeport Milling Machine magically appeared in the workshop one sunny day.

Now that is where the story of the Makerspace should have ended and I should have continued with the build of the bike, but well, other things may have happened and a very good deal was to be had on a Colchester Triumph 2000 lathe as if you have a mill you need a lathe. The trouble is these machines are old and used so come with an issue or two.

For example we knew that the Bridgeport has a broken quill return spring and the DRO was a little funny in places. And while the quill spring is on the list to be replaced the DRO was fixed with a simple disassembly and clean. The error on the DRO for example is down to 0.03mm over 2800.00mm which isn't to bad.

However the lathe has been another story. It turns out the good deal wasn't as good as was first thought. The main oil pump, screw cutting gearbox, tailstock, saddle, chuck, and apron needed to be dissembled, cleaned, and rebuilt. The machine needed an oil change (about 16 litres) as well as simply having some added to it. There is wear on the apron and this is a story in itself but it works though a replacement is being sought. As a side note there is a steamworks in Lester I wouldn't recommend. Anyway as I'm nearly at the end of bringing the lathe into service I've started to look again at what is needed for the YSR...

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 17-03-19, 04:20 AM   #106
Othen

Quote:
Well the addition of the mezzanine floor meant that we had more room for more bigger and better tools, so you can imagine the reaction when a Bridgeport Milling Machine magically appeared in the workshop one sunny day.

Now that is where the story of the Makerspace should have ended and I should have continued with the build of the bike, but well, other things may have happened and a very good deal was to be had on a Colchester Triumph 2000 lathe as if you have a mill you need a lathe. The trouble is these machines are old and used so come with an issue or two.

For example we knew that the Bridgeport has a broken quill return spring and the DRO was a little funny in places. And while the quill spring is on the list to be replaced the DRO was fixed with a simple disassembly and clean. The error on the DRO for example is down to 0.03mm over 2800.00mm which isn't to bad.

However the lathe has been another story. It turns out the good deal wasn't as good as was first thought. The main oil pump, screw cutting gearbox, tailstock, saddle, chuck, and apron needed to be dissembled, cleaned, and rebuilt. The machine needed an oil change (about 16 litres) as well as simply having some added to it. There is wear on the apron and this is a story in itself but it works though a replacement is being sought. As a side note there is a steamworks in Lester I wouldn't recommend. Anyway as I'm nearly at the end of bringing the lathe into service I've started to look again at what is needed for the YSR...

How absolutely fascinating. You are fortunate to have access to such a facility.

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 23-03-19, 03:24 AM   #107
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
How absolutely fascinating. You are fortunate to have access to such a facility.
And you too can also have access to this facility...

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 23-03-19, 03:50 AM   #108
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Now I've talked before about reaching the limits of the 3-in-1 machine and this is part of the reason that there is now have a Bridgeport and Colchester in the Makerspace but the other and bigger reason is a set of rearsets I bought.

Keeping with the 500GP theme I didn't like the OEM pegs so started looking around for some replacements. I did have discussion with someone who was making their own adjustables but that unfortunately went quiet. So a search on the internet gave me the only option of MaCrane via WeBike Japan.

Well after about 6 weeks they arrived. They were steel as I knew but they were heavier than the originals, much heavier. But also and most importantly the quality was poor. I expected CNC what I received was hand made, good for artisan, not so for a MotoGP bike. I think the rearsets have been cut with a bandsaw and then ground. The broaching was not terribly accurate and details such as deburing was not completed or was not very well executed. The stamps of the manufacture were not complete and the peg assembly did not sit flat.

To their credit WeBike and MaCrane sent me replacements of the offending articles. But the damage has been done. I have decided to make my own.

The approach is to use the MaCrane set as a template but make a few modifications along the way. The most obvious being aluminium not steel.

I need to come up with a design...

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 23-03-19, 02:39 PM   #109
Othen

Quote:
And you too can also have access to this facility...
Swindon may be just a tad too far from Northamptonshire
Old 28-04-19, 11:42 PM   #110
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

I need a design for the pegs and I am using the MaCrane set as a base, my first step was to sketch them out on some paper and decide what I wanted to change. My approach was mainly to simplify the design, reduce the curves at the mounting points for both ease of production and because I don't think it really adds anything. The other thing I wanted to add was a heel guard on the right to make it symmetrical.

With these sketches I could order some 6082 T6 Aluminium flat bar in the right sizes. I've ordered enough to give me a couple of chances at making a set. I hope.

Now the Makerspace is an interesting place and there are a number of people who know a number of things on a number of subjects and its very much a knowledge sharing community. Thankfully. So when I was having a discussion with Josh and Josh (no relation) on my plans we headed to the white board to draw out a cut plan of the operations I will need.

At this point Josh suggested it might be better to put this all into a modelling program. Fusion 360 is the choice of my advisers and its a powerful little tool. We started with a scanned image of the gear change peg and worked from that converting it to a technical drawing adding dimensions.

With this all drawn out I could move to the mill with a plan to work from. But then I had an idea...

If I have the technical drawings, the vector files, I could potentially 3D print them to check fitment. The problem here is that none of the Makerspaces 3D printer beds aren't large enough. So I moved to a new plan and something that could deal with the size. The lazer cutter.

Using some ply Josh helped me cut a set of pegs and refine the design in Fusion360 so I could test fit them on the bike. Thankfully we took this approach of rapid prototyping as it identified a couple of minor issues with the design.

The first problem was the size of the heel guard on the left, there was very little clearance to the swing arm and under load I fear it will touch. I don't think this is an issue with MaCranes design but rather with the fact I'm running an extended arm.

The second problem was the heel guard I added on the right. It got in the way of the rear brake actuator arm. My simple solution was to reposition the connection point by 180 degrees. Unfortunately that converted the actuator to a push not a pull and it was pointed out to me that the rod wouldn't be strong enough to deal with the push force without bending. Fair point. Therefore I've decided to scrap the right hand heel guard.

The third problem was the pegs. I've bought some ally race pegs that are universal fit to use, I bought these before the Colchester as I thought it would be easier to have these to work from. The problem is that the diameter of the peg results in them sitting off of the brackets in the original positions. So it became a job of moving the peg in line with the brackets mounting points that gave the peg enough meat to sit on and replicating this both sides. The added complication is that for reasons only known to Yamaha the mounting points are different from the left to the right so a simple mirror of the bracket wouldn't work. But with a ply version, a tape measure, and some calipers I think I got the dimensions correct.

After that was all sorted and the brake return spring on the lever relocated a final ply template was cut and checked on the bike. This looked good so to the mill to create the actual footpegs. And just in case anyone was wondering this is all to move the pegs 20mm back and 30mm up.

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR