SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-08-14, 04:55 PM   #11
goodgumbo

Default Re: SV buying advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel dog View Post
I'm not in any real rush to get one with the summer premiums. I'm thinking with my head for a change
Good man. I always struggle to think with my head when looking at new for me shiny bikes. So I always bring a friend along, to be the logical thinking person.
Old 18-08-14, 08:22 PM   #12
diesel dog

Not a bad idea really as it could stop you buying a lemon.

What are the lights like at night time. I've not had a chance to see what there like yet. I know on the FZ600 there pretty cr4p as standard.
Old 18-08-14, 10:29 PM   #13
goodgumbo

Considering they are very popular in the UK... I'm sure the lack of sunlight isn't an issue :P
Old 19-08-14, 09:20 AM   #14
diesel dog

What's sunlight? I'm confused
Old 19-08-14, 09:54 AM   #15
Nutsinatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel dog View Post
What are the lights like at night time. I've not had a chance to see what there like yet. I know on the FZ600 there pretty cr4p as standard.
Pretty average on the pointy, decent bulbs help but they're nothing to write home about. Full beam is okay but dipped is a bit weak if there are no streetlights.
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-14, 02:57 PM   #16
goodgumbo

Can the lights be easily changed?
Old 19-08-14, 04:35 PM   #17
Nutsinatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgumbo View Post
Can the lights be easily changed?
Bulbs easily, lights more tricky, can put a HID kit in with not too much difficulty but read this this post first so you understand about why they are naughty. http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php...18&postcount=2

You can also add a relay if you're not getting all the juice you should be to them (i.e. lights dim when you're idling).
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!

Last edited by Nutsinatin; 19-08-14 at 07:37 PM. Reason: I'm anidiot who can't remember to put in links!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-14, 06:09 PM   #18
goodgumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsinatin View Post
Bulbs easily, lights more tricky, can put a HID kit in with not too much difficulty but read this this post first so you understand about why they are naughty. You can also add a relay if you're not getting all the juice you should be to them (i.e. lights dim when you're idling).
which post should I read? I think you forgot to link it.
Old 19-08-14, 07:00 PM   #19
Mega Poster

There's plenty to look out for on an SV, hardly the most rock solid bike ever made - they're budget and show it massively:

faulty electrical connector beneath the tank - tends to burn out
****e ignition lock - half the time the key won't turn back off the lock without serious effort
brakes need rebuilding every year, doesn't matter what anyone tells you, they're nothing short of awful unless in near new condition
the rear shock will definitely need replacing at 15k, they go like sponge in no time, front forks are hardly mind blowing either so factor in new oil and springs if you want to go round corners with the utmost confidence
front forks pit as does the engine casing, if you're into bikes looking pretty...good luck keeping it that way with nothing short of 200 tins of ACF50 per square inch of the bike

Don't get me wrong, they're decent as an entry bike in my opinion, but arguably way better bikes are available for the same if not slightly more money. All in my opinion of course before people start sobbing into their keyboards.
Old 19-08-14, 09:03 PM   #20
goodgumbo

650, which other bikes do you recommend then?