SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 12-07-11, 10:51 PM   #1
sputnik

Default Another Newbie

Evening all

Seeing as Argyll has just gone to get tonight's Newbie round in, I'll seize the moment. Been lurking for a while but figure it's now time to, er, show my face?

A few months into SV ownership and thoroughly enjoying it. If you see a black fully faired '10 pointy with a scorpion stubby ear-bleeder on it somewhere between Falkirk (home) and Edinburgh (work) it just might be me.

I'll start with a blast of outrage... 1 Year service done yesterday (at a dealer as a I foolishly wanted the warranty stamp, yeah I know, buy Suzuki parts and do it yourself etc) only £3.5k miles on the clock. Nothing other than the standard service needed doing. Anyone care to guess the damage...?
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 11:19 PM   #2
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default Re: Another Newbie

Hello. Some crisps would be nice.

I'd want a dealer stamp on a 2010 bike TBH so I suppose you've just got to take it. It was obviously something silly, so I'm gonna say £350. What do I win?
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 11:30 PM   #3
Artful

Welcome to the forums and I'll go for £290
Artful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 11:44 PM   #4
sputnik

Lordy, I'm now starting to think I got a bargain! it was 'only' £190 but I thought that seemed pretty steep for an oil change and minor adjustments etc. Perhaps labour is pricier than I realised these days or maybe workshops used to take pity on my old cb500 and did some work out of charity!

On the plus side, just got a pair of tcx competition s goretex boots for £150 new on eBay so it's all swings and roundabouts.
Old 12-07-11, 11:46 PM   #5
sputnik

Oh, crisps (and Benylin chasers) coming right up. Any particular flavour?
Old 12-07-11, 11:54 PM   #6
on yer bike

My 1 year service was £150 at a Suzuki dealer, but that was 4 years ago, so I guess with inflation... a million pounds!

on yer bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 11:57 PM   #7
TamSV
Mega Poster

£190 sounds about right to me.

Good shout on the boots, mine are ace *cough* mine were cheaper *cough*.

They're a tight fit though and take a bit of breaking in. I had to take the shin armour out my leathers and they were so stiff that changing gear was a bit of a conscious effort.

They free up after a couple of weeks and get really comfy...and then they start to squeak.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-11, 12:19 AM   #8
sputnik

Cheaper? Argh, I hate to be beaten on a bargain. Can I raise you a pair of leather breeks for £20 from Oxfam online? Or maybe I'll just accept defeat graciously.

Never mind, I just moved house and the old owner left the garage empty apart from, inexplicably... a jumbo can of silicon spray. I realise that with the new (soon to be squeaky) boots it must have been destiny!

Looks like I can get off my high horse on the service costs too - deffo a DIY job next time though.
Old 13-07-11, 12:41 AM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

welcome......

only time service stamps come into it is insurance claims. rest of the time they mean shizz. £60 an hour to change some consumables and if your lucky have it plugged up to the SDS tool then if you are even luckier the service record goes on the main service database. so that makes £30 worth of parts and £120 in labour. now you have to take into account that the place you get your bikes serviced have good mechanics who do a proper job, or is it just a bunch of muppets who are actually fitters. there are good and bad mechanics. personally i would rather be £120 better off and know the job has been done right with no short cuts as i'm not on 'job times'.

a 1 year 3.5k service would entail an oil and filter change check fasteners and if your lucky they might grease the pivot parts top up your brake fluid tighten your chain then look it over. all of half an hours work and £30 worth of parts.

now you know why they have nice shiny show rooms.

oooohhhh disclaimer... if you don't know one end of a spanner from another then its better off taking it to a stealer.

Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-11, 09:26 AM   #10
peterco

Hello and welcome
SV650 Naked
BMW 650cs Scarfer
MZ RT 125 4 stroke
peterco is offline   Reply With Quote