SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 18-04-12, 07:51 PM   #21
Kilted Ginger

Default Re: Summer Police Initiative

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzio View Post

But speaking of which, which forces here have ANPR equipment?
All of them, there are a few static ones as well, both sides of the forth and kincardine bridges are the only ones i've had confirmed.
iirc the only force heli with anpr and speed cameras is wales, there was a news report about it.
Old 18-04-12, 08:44 PM   #22
appollo1
Mega Poster

i have been reliably informed by an officer from Fife Constabulary that all bridges leading into Fife (Tay and Forth) have ANPR cameras on them and in the words of the officer "unless you use the side roads all cars entering Fife over the bridges get ANPR checked."

Certain police vehicles i.e traffic (BMW types) have ANPR but the cars used by the local officers do not. so i have been told!

http://www.german-shepherd-rescue-scotland.org.uk/ everyone deserves a second chance

RIP Appollo miss you and will always love you x x x x
appollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-12, 09:43 PM   #23
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by on yer bike View Post
when I was stopped a couple of years ago, they claimed to stop me to check the bike wasn't stolen... Could they not have set up a number plate recognition camera further up the road, and only stopped me if it came up as stolen? they then went round my bike to check the "legality" of the bike.

My question is do you legally have to stop, surely they can only legally stop you if you've been seen to be doing something wrong? I wouldn't want to be the one to test out driving around the officer pulling me over but it is a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIII View Post
Your first question should be " Officer, what moving offence did i commit, giving you reason to stop me?"

I believe they have to have a reason and not just cos they feel like it! If he doesn't have a reason then you are entitled to drive away!

Go on you try it! I would love to but the only times i have ever been stopped they have had a reason, never been stopped on the bike, yet.

Incorrect. We are allowed to stop any vehicle being driven on a road under S163 of the RTA. We have the power to do this in order for us to carry out driver documentation check.

I suggest, that unless you want the jail, you do not carry out the above suggestion of driving away.
Old 19-04-12, 07:08 PM   #24
on yer bike

I'm just playing with you... But while we're on the topic, unless I have been misinformed there are no powers to detain under S163, yes it is an offence not to stop. But only an arrestable one if other offences have been found to occur?

looking at case Sanders v DPP [1988] Cr.L.R. 605 It is also permissible to stop, then drive away as SIII suggests without committing any offence as long as you have informed the officers of your intention to do so (and as above, no other offences are suspected).

on yer bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-12, 08:12 PM   #25
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by on yer bike View Post
I'm just playing with you... But while we're on the topic, unless I have been misinformed there are no powers to detain under S163, yes it is an offence not to stop. But only an arrestable one if other offences have been found to occur?

looking at case Sanders v DPP [1988] Cr.L.R. 605 It is also permissible to stop, then drive away as SIII suggests without committing any offence as long as you have informed the officers of your intention to do so (and as above, no other offences are suspected).
I didn't say they would detain you, it does, however, have a conditional power of arrest attached (which has various different conditions).

The issue with the stated case you have quoted (can't be bothered to go and look it up) is that we have the power to require any driver to provide their details/driving licence and insurance. If you were to drive away whilst we were requiring you to provide the above, then you would be committing the offence of failure to produce the above which would result in points and a fine. Your choice.

Just re your initial post about ANPR and stolen bikes, ANPR isn't always the best at catching out stolen vehicles as people tend to fire different plates onto them so without actually stopping the vehicle, it is very difficult to find stolen motors. If you had a bike nicked, I'm sure you'd be quite happy if the cops were stopping bikes and giving them the once over...
Old 19-04-12, 10:06 PM   #26
TEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Ginger View Post
Central (who cover this road) are the only force whose bikers volunteer for bike safe, ...
When they did it, the Fife guys also did it in their own time on sponsored bikes