SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-01-15, 09:48 PM   #1
macker

Default Honda Blackbird

Hi Lads,

Im looking for some feedback from anyone who's owned or owns a Blackbird. Im currently riding a K6 GSXR 750 but planning on getting a 2nd bike for doing some touring this summer in Europe.

Was wondering what they are like comfort wise, im 5'8" but if I wake up early and get some stretches in I can get a small bit closer to 5'9"! Im looking for any feedback in general really, 2,000 euro is about my budget so that rules out most VFR's, well the VTECs anyway plus I may do some 2 up so i think the blackbird would suit better. Any info appreciated. Oh and it was the 99 model I had in mind.

Cheers in advance!

Colm.
Old 21-01-15, 09:53 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Honda Blackbird

Ask Skip and Stretchie, both have had them. Not sure if Stretchie still has his, Skip hasn't
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-15, 10:03 PM   #3
macker

Cheers Maviczap!
Old 22-01-15, 12:08 AM   #4
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

I've had a Blackbird for a few months. Quite a capable bike:

Stretchie has his still. He does a fair bit 2 up, more than I did with it. Comfortwise its fine. Maintenancewise a few things can be a faf but overall nothing to bad. If you're looking at originals check that the linked brakes still work, other than that expect the suspension to be a bit tired and in need of a fresh and then the usual things relating to condition. Oh they also have a cam chain adjuster issue which I think is fixed by replacing with a later models part. Stretchie can give you more details if required.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-15, 05:04 AM   #5
BanannaMan

Three of my mates in a group I used to ride with had blackbirds .
Why they all claimed they were comfy bikes they were always seen stretching their legs while riding on the longer rideouts.
Might be something to consider if you have issues being cramped on a bike.

Personally, long legs and all, I don't think it would be an issue for me but thought I would mention it.

Nice bikes, plenty of power and much more nimble than you'd expect for it's size/weight.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-15, 01:22 PM   #6
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
I've had a Blackbird for a few months.
Yeah, about 18 months, I would know, it was mine you thief

Mine is a 1998 Carb version

Had mine for nearly seven years now, it does exactly what I want it to do, when I want it to do it. I'm tall like you too, 5'8" so that shouldn't be a problem. It's a heavy old beast (and Squirrell couldn't get it on / off the centre stand with those matchsticks he has dangling down from his waist )

I love it to bits, my biggest problem with it is that it's thirsty, I typically get about 35mpg, I once got 40mpg on a long run around the Lakes two's up.

It's good one up, two up, lazy ride, fast ride, you just need a bit more planning when approaching a set of twisties, it's not a nimble bike.

I have test ridden a recent Busa and can honestly say that given a choice, I prefer my 16 year old BlackBird to a 2 year old Busa by a MILLION Miles.

Get one test ridden and check out: http://www.bikersoracle.com/blackbird/forum/ for what the issues on them are

Rear wheel can be a pain in the **** to get in and out, the caliper is attached to the inside of slider bracket that the axle goes through, which means you cannot remove the caliper before you remove the wheel, STOOPID design

The brakes are amazing (or at least mine used to be, not quite as linked as they used to be), alot of people de-link them and say "I prefer to be able to feel ######" or "It's not as good because personally I like #####" which in 95% of cases means, "I can't afford to replace all the brake lines in the system so I de linked instead but the racers say this so I'll say it too"

There are 10 or 11 lines in the braking system and three master cylinders, but I am not delinking them ever, I like the linked system I just need to save for the full stainless hose set and three master cylinder rebuilt kits

Charging system can be a pain but many bikes suffer from this, big Hondas especially usually just the reg/reg needs swapping but I did mine years ago and all good so far, same with Vipers VTR

Cam Chain Tensioner, goes after a couple of years (yes, even the redesigned ones), costs £40 for a new one and takes 15 mins to swap, or you can buy a manual one instead

Suspension, plenty of options for buying new rear shocks, but I went with a rebuilt one and new shorter springs with a longer spacer and it comepltely transformed the bike

You can buy lowered pegs for the front and rear if you want but you'll probably just ground them out, mine are standard and I can grind them and the belly pan but I don't like to cos I'm a big gurl and hate that feeling

The best (and for me ONLY) place to go for BlackBird specific parts is here:
http://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/

John (Jaws) is an absolute font of knowledge and always happy to help out and make sure you get what you need

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-15, 05:52 PM   #7
figaro

I bought an old piece of cr@p from a welshman that looked like it had been used as a ditch pump. Spent a few weekends tidying it up and took it for a blast, and it were bloody brilliant! I thought it would just be a big, fast, wafty tourer, but it was much, much better than that.

Stick a 6mm spacer on top of the rear shock and it makes the bike a lot more agile. They handle well anyway, this just makes it feel a little more up for it. The brakes are sh.t hot if they're well serviced, and I found it supremely comfortable.

The Blackbird was my first jap bike for years, and I'd forgotten how devastatingly effective they can be. Would I buy another one..?

Like a shot.
Old 22-01-15, 08:52 PM   #8
macker

Thanks a million for all the responses, very useful and much appreciated. Is luggage hard to get for them, hard cases?
Old 22-01-15, 08:56 PM   #9
figaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post
Thanks a million for all the responses, very useful and much appreciated. Is luggage hard to get for them, hard cases?
Use soft luggage; hard luggage is too expensive and screws the high speed stability of any bike, and kills the top speed. I could only get 148 out of my Sprint 1050 with the cases on before it went into a death weave...
Old 22-01-15, 09:04 PM   #10
macker

righto! i've got kriega stuff, suppose that'll work fine then.. cheers..