SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-03-16, 09:19 AM   #21
atassiedevil

Default Re: Shoulder checks and SV650s position

If your helmet chin piece is low, it'll foul on your shoulder as well. Try tilting your head to the side slightly, as it might give you the extra degree or two of vision you need. As has been said before, you should already know whats around you and where it is. It's when one of those vehicles can no longer be seen that you know you've got to cover your blind spots.
Old 07-03-16, 01:11 PM   #22
Jason H

As a number of people have previously mentioned building that constant picture of what is around you is vital to maintaining proper spacial awareness. If you're checking your mirrors regularly enough then you ought not to have many surprises beyond the occasional other bike that has filtered up to say "hi".

Try tucking your elbow or dropping a shoulder slightly when checking your mirrors if they're getting in the way (first check you actually have your mirrors adjusted properly), and when doing a lifesaver try angling your head differently, up, down, tilted to the left, tilted to the right and remember you can look under your shoulder as well as over.

Sadly can't comment on the mirror risers as: 1. I have a naked and 2. I don't have any of those odd, shaky, vanity glass thingy m'bobs attached to my bars.

J
Mods: Renthal Flat bars, 's' clutch perch, GSXR front master cylinder, CNC shorty levers, Tail Tidy, Fuel Mini S/S Slip-on, 15/47, 's' Swing-arm, Pillion seat cowl, GSXR 750 front end, CNC polished top yoke, R6 Throttle tube, GSXR rear shock

Jason H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 08:09 PM   #23
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by atassiedevil View Post
If your helmet chin piece is low, it'll foul on your shoulder as well.
This is a big part of the problem.

Thanks for input everyone. Lots of good reminders here. I know about keeping aware and remembering what's around me, but knowing and keeping up good practice are two different things. I'm going to definitely be more concious of this next ride in and see if it helps.

Thanks again.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-16, 10:17 PM   #24
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Had a much better city ride today. Went in keeping all advice in my mind and managed to just ride really calmly not giving in to the bumper to bumper stress all around ( i kept a good gap in front to keep moving instead of riding stop start... drives me crazy that everyone in the city wants to be right up to your back wheel!). Made a concerted effort to keep a mental image going and it helped me feel much more confident.

Still need to get the mirror extensions to help things, but came back generally happier and even enjoyed the few moments when traffic managed to move faster than a snail's pace. : )
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-16, 08:06 AM   #25
Swin

Nice one, glad to hear it!

The great thing about the mirror risers is that you can take them off the bike when you sell it and put them on the next one, so it's a 1 off purchase for all your biking needs

Should add, if you don't want to go the door stop economy route, it'll be about 30 quid for a pair of them, and the longer bolts you need, so you can pays yer money and makes yer choice