SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-01-19, 07:23 PM   #241
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Quote of the day (sorry, Brexit related)

so same as Canadian/British (now no longer available)?

lucky you to have free movement between both if there is a no deal hard border you'll still need both for each country... if i were you i would grab a UK one as soon as you can as they might change the rules.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-19, 07:34 PM   #242
Chris_SVS

^I think so. Brexit doesn't affect my entitlement to citizenship or passports and I don't think it actually can.. Find out soon I guess.

Quote:
I was born in Northern Ireland. Will a UK exit mean that I am no longer entitled to Irish citizenship or an Irish passport? A UK exit from the EU does not change anything regarding entitlement to Irish citizenship. The essential legal position remains as follows: If you were born on the island of Ireland before 1 January 2005, you are entitled to be an Irish citizen. If you were born on the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005, your right to Irish citizenship depends on your parents’ citizenship at the time of your birth and the residency history of at least one of your parents before your birth. Further information on this is available on our website.
Our family name came from England in the 1500's so I think it's all good lol I'm an awful lot more like the Scottish Burns side though(except the skirt wearing bit)

The overarching theme of my initial postings was, I'm very blatantly from Northern Ireland (my accent and my address which you had/have is the telltale) in a Loyalist town from which I can see Scotland on a good day, holding an Irish Passport - Wishing to travel through the EU to another non-eu country and then back again, post potential no-deal brexit.. It's a very interesting time no matter what the outcome is.

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 19-01-19 at 07:48 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-19, 08:24 PM   #243
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
I was born in Northern Ireland. Will a UK exit mean that I am no longer entitled to Irish citizenship or an Irish passport? A UK exit from the EU does not change anything regarding entitlement to Irish citizenship. The essential legal position remains as follows: If you were born on the island of Ireland before 1 January 2005, you are entitled to be an Irish citizen. If you were born on the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005, your right to Irish citizenship depends on your parents’ citizenship at the time of your birth and the residency history of at least one of your parents before your birth. Further information on this is available on our website.
thats just had me PMSL.. no offence but its typical Irish logic how to cover both bases Paddy and Shaun must have been well ****ed to come up with that one.
Old 19-01-19, 08:30 PM   #244
Chris_SVS

None taken
Old 19-01-19, 11:37 PM   #245
embee
Mega Poster

Regarding the driving stuff, I posted this

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Arguments aside, this is something which may be of interest to some https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/...cid=spartandhp
The suggestion there is that (as I suspected) we will need an ETIAS document, a green card for insurance, and international driving permits. Of course those who never travel out of the UK won't care about this.

……..
I believe Spain requires a different IDP to the rest of the EU countries (may be others, I don't know).

We may have to return to bail bonds (insurance, in addition to green card) for Spain, who knows. I believe that requirement disappeared with changes to laws regarding insurance issued by an EU member state, but of course that changes.

As for moving between EU countries once over there, that's what Schengen is all about. It's only the UK and Ireland who are not within Schengen I believe, all other EU countries are.

I still have a pink UK driving licence, at present it is recognised by the EU, hopefully still will be (with an IDP).

It'll be interesting to see what happens with vehicle standards, such as tyres showing "E" marks etc. Hopefully any BS will recognise E approvals, if it doesn't we are really up the creek.
Old 20-01-19, 10:12 AM   #246
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Regarding the driving stuff, I posted this

I believe Spain requires a different IDP to the rest of the EU countries (may be others, I don't know).
1949 (Ireland, Iceland, Spain, Malta, Cyprus)
1968 (all other EU countries, Norway and Switzerland)
1926 (Liechtenstein)

Post no-deal Brexit, while Ireland has ratified the 1949 IDP, they aren't required for foreign drivers.

Quote:
We may have to return to bail bonds (insurance, in addition to green card) for Spain, who knows. I believe that requirement disappeared with changes to laws regarding insurance issued by an EU member state, but of course that changes.
I've never heard of bail bonds for Espana I must do some reading, what else to do on a sunday morning?

Quote:
As for moving between EU countries once over there, that's what Schengen is all about. It's only the UK and Ireland who are not within Schengen I believe, all other EU countries are.
Yup. I believe nothing really changes in terms of movement in the EU. I doubt it will be frictionless by any means.. Then again with an Irish passport I can saunter on through EU fast lanes(in theory)

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 20-01-19 at 10:14 AM.
Old 22-01-19, 05:12 PM   #247
Chris_SVS

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...land-1.3766612
Old 22-01-19, 05:43 PM   #248
Bibio
Mega Poster

just think of the cost that a border patrol and fence etc.etc is going to cost the British tax payer... even more public spending like the NHS will have to be cut to fund the border... lovely. ooohhh wait i forgot the UK will have all this new found wealth.

Old 22-01-19, 05:49 PM   #249
Chris_SVS

May start selling the busses
Old 22-01-19, 10:00 PM   #250
chris8886
Mega Poster

why should we need a hard border, when Switzerland doesn't have one?
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote