SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-03-19, 02:49 PM   #1
aesmith

Default Pointy Forks - clonks and metal-to-metal contact

Hi,

This post provoked by how discoloured fork oil gets over a year or so, which to me indicates metal to metal contact happening.

I'm referring the clonks that both my pointies have made from the fork when going over bumps. From what I read this is inherent, and they all do this. That's sort of backed up by my experience with in fact three sets of forks on the two bikes.

What I was wondering is whether anyone knows exactly what's clonking - I mean what two parts are striking each other? I was wondering if it's actually the sides of the spring striking the insides of the tubes. And moving on from that is there anything that can be done to stop it?

Thanks, Tony S
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 03:33 PM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pointy Forks - clonks and metal-to-metal contact

I don't have an answer as to the cause of the clonk, but after I fitted Debrix emulators some years ago the clonk disappeared.

Last edited by garynortheast; 05-03-19 at 03:37 PM.
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 11:32 PM   #3
glang

Mine improved a lot after a fork oil change to a thicker viscosity
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 11:29 AM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

its the top out spring shaking about. only remove it if you have fitted the correct springs for your weight otherwise the stanchion and tube will stick together at full compression, you dont want that now do you.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 03:53 PM   #5
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I don't have an answer as to the cause of the clonk, but after I fitted Debrix emulators some years ago the clonk disappeared.
That's interesting. I have YSS emulators. I wonder if my clonks are because my high speed valve is set too hard, or too soft, compared to yours.
Old 06-03-19, 04:00 PM   #6
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
its the top out spring shaking about. only remove it if you have fitted the correct springs for your weight otherwise the stanchion and tube will stick together at full compression, you dont want that now do you.
Also interesting. If I understand correctly the top out spring sits at the bottom of the stanchion, and is compressed by the damper rod at full extension. So I'm thinking it could be padded in some way so it's a tight fit in the tube and therefore won't rattle, but can still be perform it's function. I'll have a look at that if I have the forks off for any reason.

By the way given that that part of the fork should be full of oil, which you would think would damp out a loose part rattling, does this mean it actually cavitates?