SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-06-18, 07:39 PM   #1
SVrider

Default sv650 AL7 tick after sparkplugs change

Hi guys,

Just replaced my sparkplugs the other day and after a quick run i`ve noticed some kind of intermittent ticking noise coming from the engine, at idle. It goes away when i rev it a bit. Engine pulls the same as before changing the sparkplugs. The ticking is not loud and it comes after one minute or so after i start the engine. I haven`t torqued the plugs; used the hand tight method + 1/4 turn. Any ideas what can cause the ticking ? Thanks a lot.
SVrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-18, 07:11 AM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: sv650 AL7 tick after sparkplugs change

Metal things can make ticking noise as they warm up or cool down, don't know why this would appear after plug change though. Maybe as Seeker says a HV spark leaking somewhere, maybe check plug caps are firmly pushed on, if not may have spark jumping to to sparkplug top terminal. has the lead been loosened in the cap during the change and spark having to jump a gap inside the cap housing.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-18, 08:52 AM   #3
Artstu

The 1/4 turn is really for used plugs, I'd say new ones need at least another 1/4 turn if not a bit more.
Artstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-18, 09:19 AM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstu View Post
The 1/4 turn is really for used plugs, I'd say new ones need at least another 1/4 turn if not a bit more.
NGK's own advice for 10mm & 12mm plugs is 180 degrees from finger tight for new plugs, and 30 degrees for used plugs.

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english...q18/index.html
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-18, 02:28 PM   #5
SVrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Metal things can make ticking noise as they warm up or cool down, don't know why this would appear after plug change though. Maybe as Seeker says a HV spark leaking somewhere, maybe check plug caps are firmly pushed on, if not may have spark jumping to to sparkplug top terminal. has the lead been loosened in the cap during the change and spark having to jump a gap inside the cap housing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
NGK's own advice for 10mm & 12mm plugs is 180 degrees from finger tight for new plugs, and 30 degrees for used plugs.

I`ve checked the caps and wires. The`re all clean, no cracks and i`ve firmly pushed on the caps. i`ve put a smear of silicone grease on the caps rubber seals, (the ones that came into contact with the ceramic bit ob the sparplug), to prevent any spark jumps. Intermittent Tick-tick still there at idle.
Old 15-06-18, 02:40 PM   #6
SVrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post

Just took the plugs out from the front head and got them finger tight + 1/2 turn/180 degrees ( at half turn plugs fill quite tight like there`s no more tread to go, so i`ve stoped there )
I can still hear the ticking at idle but quieter. Now i have to do the same with the rear head but i have to take some petrol out of the tank or ride it till the tank goes half full.
Possibly i`ve got the plugs to lose in the first place ?
PS: used the OEM sparkplugs. SPARK PLUG (MR8E-9) 09482-00646

Thank you all.
Old 15-06-18, 03:19 PM   #7
Talking Heads

Should've left them well alone.

Spark plugs last much longer than manufacturers would have you believe.

Its almost as if they want you to keep buying lots of their product or something...
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-18, 03:21 PM   #8
Craig380
Mega Poster

The other thing is, I've never heard an SV that doesn't tick intermittently at idle. The SV motor is notorious for its mechanical noise, and for the randomness with which the various noises can come and go.

My own K6 with 25,000 miles will sometimes tick and tap merrily at idle, and other times will be mechanically silent, and there's no rhyme or reason for the difference. Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, has done a long run or a short run, or whatever. It's always done it, ever since I got the bike with 8,000 miles up.

It's because, unlike an inline twin or four-cylinder bike, the SV has 2x very long camchains, and doesn't have a big chunky cylinder block to dampen mechanical noises.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote