SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-12-05, 10:31 PM   #1
kjames

Default road tax fine.

got a fine in the post for no road tax this morning...merry bloody xmas

bought my bike and collected on 12 nov.. took a few days to get my cover note through and another week for the log to come through (ish) anyway, it was now pretty close to dec, so decided to wait until beginng of the month. Lady at the post office wouldnt let me back tax it, so thought nothing more of it.

so this morning got a fine, "spotted on western way 18th nov." thats 6 days after i got.. ANPR i hope.. and hopefully not going to get a speeding ticket in the next few weeks from one of the cameras

anyway, rant over...just feeling a tad hard done by.

k
Old 23-12-05, 12:53 AM   #2
tomjones2

this happened to me, you can tax it without the log book but you need the tear of strip that comes off the log book before you send it to the dvla
Old 23-12-05, 08:34 AM   #3
SVeeedy Gonzales

Default Re: road tax fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjames
Lady at the post office wouldnt let me back tax it, so thought nothing more of it.
Bugger... though that is odd... twice I've bought a bike and not got to tax it until the next month and both times the post office has backdated it to the date of purchase/transfer.

If your date of transfer/purchase shows you as not being the owner on the date in question (which would be a good reason for post office lady not letting you tax it for that date) they can't fine you. Because you weren't offcially the owner when they spotted it.

If it does show you as the owner and the post office refused to let you tax it for the date, it might be worth getting them/her to send you a signed note to that effect, then send it to the DVLA and they may reconsider. Not very sporting to fine you for not paying your tax when you did try to pay it and they wouldn't let you.
Old 23-12-05, 08:39 AM   #4
Noufy

You cna always try to argue your case with the DVLA, taht you received your documents late, they do give a seven day grace period usually. But the fact taht you decided to wait another month may go against you. I do hope you have got the Road tax now.
Old 23-12-05, 02:40 PM   #5
kjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noufy
You cna always try to argue your case with the DVLA, taht you received your documents late, they do give a seven day grace period usually. But the fact taht you decided to wait another month may go against you. I do hope you have got the Road tax now.
i didnt really wait another month.. bought the bike middle of the month, taxed it at the end.

anyway, going to pay the fine and be done with it... its a bit like the parking ticket wording, "pay £38 now, or go to court, pay at least £38, +£45 costs + upto a £1000".... urm let me see.

k
Old 23-12-05, 02:51 PM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

You where using an untaxed vehicle on a UK road, what do you expect?

If you dont have a log book, you fill in a V10 iirc and apply for road tax that way.

Never had a problem taxing a vehicle that i have just brought...ever

Sorry!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote