SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-05-05, 01:16 PM   #1
Grinch

Default Flat tire... then bike falls off recovery truck!

Well what a great morning I've had.... happily zooming though the traffic on the M3, havin just over taken a Laverda 750. When I think woooh whats that bike feels wobbly, pulls over to the hard shoulder to fine a huge 'screw' sized hole in my back tire. Bugger, oh well will have to get it recovered and the tire replaced.

Recovery bloke turns up nice and quick, so we start to put it on the back on the truck, he gets me to sit on the bike while he pushes it up the single ramp. We get almost all the way up the ramp when the bike starts to slow and wobble. Then I thinka lorry trundles past blowing the bike over and chucking me in to the ditch. Oh crap!

The bike has a smashed rear seat pannel, cracked undertray, smashed front inicator, scratched front right fairing pannel, scratched front mudguard and fork....

Great day...
Old 23-05-05, 01:17 PM   #2
Anonymous

Old 23-05-05, 01:21 PM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

Hmmm, intersting as to whose fault that will be. Id go for the recovery truck driver for getting you to ride the bike up there in the 1st place!!

Are you ok?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-05, 01:22 PM   #4
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

can you get comp from the recovery company?
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-05, 01:32 PM   #5
jonboy

Sorry to hear that Dan, hope you get things sorted, the recovery guy should not have involved you in any way, so don't take any notion of shared responsibility should they try that line.

Old 23-05-05, 01:33 PM   #6
richwill68

Default Arrrrghhh

Sorry mate. Some days you feel you'd have been better off staying in bed, huh?
Do check on Mr rescue guys responsibilty, 'coz if their insurance doesn't cover YOU for personal injury whilst assisting their operative, HE should have informed you of this at the time. If they don't cover you ( and I strongly suspect they won't) then their operative should have warned you of this and insisted he load your pride and joy (after all, this is why you have breakdown cover). Good luck with the compo' claim
Old 23-05-05, 02:28 PM   #7
coombest

Damn!

Bad luck fella... Hope you get it sorted at no cost to you. I can't believe he asked you to ride it up! Bikes aren't exactly heavy to push up a ramp! Even with a flat tyre! (You should try getting a fireblade in the back of a van when both tyres have removed themslves from the rim, the forks are bent, the bars are broken, and the rear end is missing!! Flamin' Michael Laverty! )
Old 23-05-05, 02:34 PM   #8
jambo
Mega Poster

ar$e....

Hope all this gets sorted out mate, see you in soho soon
Old 23-05-05, 02:39 PM   #9
Mogs

I would think that from the first moment the agent for the recovery company touches the machine, they then take full responsibility for it until it is returned to you.

He should not have asked you to help with the loading in anyway – you have not been trained in the procedure, they have. In fact he may have breached the companies own health & safety policy. Try to get hold of a copy, it maybe the chink in their armour.
Old 23-05-05, 02:45 PM   #10
Ping

d'oh!