SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-09-09, 07:38 PM   #11
simonl

Default Re: Alternator Removal

This is what i bought for the rotor puller:

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/1723

It's Just a regular large bolt.

A 2ft breaker bar?? Feck! i just used a foot ish long adjustable and a similar length ratchet. Few bruised knuckles though when I was bouncing all my weight on them and then it finally loosened! Was a bit worried I was turning it in the wrong direction it was so tight!
Old 27-11-09, 08:35 PM   #12
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Thanks for the clarification there Druid.

Thought it was wrong as all the bolts in B&Q were listing the M size followed by 150mm, 80mm, 60mm etc. Coincidently B&Q only go up to M12 bolts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
According to the great book of lies I need to remove the alternator in order to facilitate the splitting of the crank cases. Now the first question is, do I have to?

The reason I ask is I don't have a rotor puller tool. So is there a work around for this?

The second question assumes the answer to the first is "yep, you gotta". Now I have found this thread, which gives the specifications for a removal tool (a bolt M20 x 1.5 mm pitch). And I've found them listed in a pack of 25 at Screwfix, I assume the pitch is a typo in the other thread and should read M20 x 150 mm, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Your WRONG !

But as I don't need 25 of them is there a bolt on the SV that can be used in its place or does anyone know of somewhere that will be open on a Sunday and sale these bolts separately?
The bolt you require is M20 and the pitch is 1.5mm, The lengh is anything you like as long as it's over say 50mm

hth's and I'm not too late in posting this before you knacker up your generator threads...

Richie.
Old 27-11-09, 09:05 PM   #13
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

My problem here was not understanding how bolts were listed in size, but I do now.

I used your thread as a basis so thanks for the info Richie, and I would agree with the length as well. Thanks.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-09, 07:42 AM   #14
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Good morning all.

A good tip when attempting to remove such items is to tighten the bolt/puller as much as possible within reason, & then give the head of the bolt a few sharp taps with a hammer. Walk away for a bit, & then try tightening it some more, along with more 'percussive' treatment.
It's better to spend a little time on it, rather than tightening it to excess & risk damaging yourself or the threads in the rotor.

Cheers.
Old 21-01-18, 08:23 PM   #15
phi-dan

Zombie thread alert!
Just wanted to thank the contributors to this thread, as it answered all the questions I had about rotor removal, and the offending item is now in my recycling pile.
As only two of the magnets were still attached, and one of those was the only one not chipped or split, it probably need replacing.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk