SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-09-06, 10:31 PM   #1
Kilted Ginger

Default Slipping clutch, I think???

650s K6 3800 miles

About 40 miles from home tonight pulled out to overtake and rolled the throttle back, watched the revs climb but the bike did not accelerate, not 1 iota.

Pulled in, switched off, went up through the gears and back down, ok. Started up up and down through gears (to bite point each time) all ok.

Pulled off gingerly, seemed ok, the revs / gear / speed combo didny seem to be tying up, ie higher revs than normal for any speed.

trying to accelerate and revs climb quite happily, but no acceleration, engine tone changes and vibration up through seat.
Coax it along about 50 in 5th for a while, 20 miles to go cant get it above 30 wtf!! by the time i got home i could only eeek out 11mph and had to push it up the hill to my house.

I can select the gears fine, the revs climb when i twist the throttle but no drive.

I (being un mechanically minded and new to bikes) assume this is a clutch problem, plan is to coax it the 6 miles to dealer in the morning and wave warranty at him, or should i freewheel 1/4 mile from house and call aa rescue to lift it to dealer, I'm assuming catastrophic failure of clutch but can i do any damage to anything else riding it to the dealer??

Any advice appreciated.
Old 15-09-06, 11:33 PM   #2
RandyO

I think someone is playing with your clutch cable adjustment
Old 15-09-06, 11:54 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Just spoken to Kilted Ginger and that doesn't really make sense, when you read the symptoms- happened in the middle of a (fairly long) ride and rapidly got worse, to the point of total disengagement. Also, what's not clear in the post is that the lever action feels normal. It could be something simple like that, but from what he's said I think it's not. The vibrations don't make sense if it's just regular slip either.

I'd like to be wrong, mind (if I am, I'll just blame him for misleading me )
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-06, 05:52 AM   #4
Stig

Have you checked the locking nut on the clutch adjustment screw. I have a feeling that it has come loose and the vibrations from the bike and the use of the clutch has allowed the adjuster screw to turn. Consequently I think you as you have been riding, the screw has got looser. This would give you the symptoms you have described.
Old 16-09-06, 05:55 AM   #5
Stig

Sorry I should have mentioned. You can find this adjuster screw and locking nut under a cover on the left hand side, forward of the engine cover. The cover can be removed with the aid of a ratchet and an 8mm socket. (at least on a curvy this is the case).