SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-08-06, 09:57 AM   #1
keithd

Default no state funeral for thatcher

Quote:
Prime Minister Tony Blair has ruled out the possibility of Margaret Thatcher being given a state funeral.

A spokeswoman for Number 10 said: "All that we can confirm is that there are no such plans and it is not appropriate to comment further."

Mr Blair's stance on funeral arrangements for Lady Thatcher, the country's first woman prime minister, was revealed after a reported protest by Rosie Cooper, MP for Lancashire West, over reports that civil servants in the Cabinet Office were drawing up detailed plans for a state funeral for the ex-Tory leader.
According to the Daily Telegraph, Miss Cooper wrote to Number 10 saying that some of her constituents were appalled at the idea.

John McTernan, Mr Blair's political secretary, replied saying that he could confirm that there were no such plans.

Tory MPs have accused Mr Blair of using his stance on Lady Thatcher's funeral arrangements to appease left-wing Labour MPs.

Gerald Howarth, Conservative MP for Aldershot and Lady Thatcher's former parliamentary aide, told the newspaper: "That is Blair all over. It is contemptible.

"He claimed the mantle of Thatcher but when the going gets tough with Labour MPs, he throws them a bone."
would that change if there were a Tory government?

is it right that she's not given a state funeral.

there you go, that ought to split opinion right down the middle.

discuss (and play nicely)
Old 09-08-06, 10:01 AM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

Has she died then?

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-06, 10:01 AM   #3
DanDare

She served the country as leader, no contest in my opinion.
Each leader should regardless of political views or party.

Aren't they supposed to be in for the same purpose.......looking after the state of the nation.
Old 09-08-06, 10:02 AM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
Has she died then?
I was going to ask that.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-06, 10:03 AM   #5
wyrdness

Wikipedia says
Quote:
The honour of a state funeral is usually reserved for the Sovereign as Head of State. Few others have had them:

* Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson (1806)
* Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1852)
* Henry Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston (1865)
* The Rt Hon. William Gladstone (189
* Frederick Roberts, 1st Earl Roberts of Kandahar (1914)
* The Rt Hon. Sir Winston Churchill (1965)
I don't really see any reason why Thatcher should have one and don't think that it would be particularly popular with the general population.
Old 09-08-06, 10:05 AM   #6
DanDare

Ok clarify for me as I've obviously misunderstood something.

What is meant by a state funeral??
Old 09-08-06, 10:14 AM   #7
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
Has she died then?
I was going to ask that.
Me too.

If she hasn't she may pop off during the Bank Holiday. U used to go away every August Bank Holiday and come back and find out someone had died.

Personally I think she deserves a state funeral. That's not saying I believe in her politics, methods, views, anything really.
But on a personality level she was one hell of a woman. First female Prime Minister, strong leader and supporter of this country (OK, sometimes too strong and didn't listen to reason, but...).
She may have got stuff wrong, but at the heart of it all she actually, genuinely loved this country.

She had more balls and spine too. So at least if you hated her you had something to get your teeth into, rather than a rather damp towel.
Old 09-08-06, 10:17 AM   #8
Peter Henry

Though I did not like Mrs Thatcher one bit, I did admire her. However I personally see no strong case for a state funeral.
Old 09-08-06, 10:58 AM   #9
Balky001
Mega Poster

follwing on from Wikipedia's page Wyrdness check it also say

Quote:
The only difference between his state funeral and that of the Sovereign was the gun salute—prime ministers get a 19-gun salute, as a head of government.
Which would indicate there are specific details set aside for Prime Ministers so I guess it comes down to whether people feel she was of national significance and whether the public want to join in. She was significant and people forget what a mess we were in in the 70's - and her supporters felt as strongly as her critics do about her I think deserves one. However, she hasn't died so it might be a little premature!
Old 09-08-06, 11:01 AM   #10
Peter Henry

Balky wrote:

Quote:
However, she hasn't died so it might be a little premature!
Aaaw go on,let's bury her anyway! :P