SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-07-06, 09:32 AM   #1
Blue_SV650S

Default Modded SV - Quicker than an R6 (throttle tube)

Right I did the R6 throttle tube mod on my road SVS, although a step in the right direction, I thought it was far from a revelation, one still has quite a ‘twist’ to get to full throttle.

When I got the R6 tube, I put that and the stock one face to face to assess the difference in diameter of the cam part i.e. the bit that determines twist to pull distance ratio … and to be fair it seemed very little.

For my track SV that I am currently building, I have decided to take matters into my own hands and have ‘modified’ the standard SV tube that came off my other bike when I put the R6 tube on.

I have to admit I have been less than scientific with the amount I have expanded the cam by (you are looking at the black plastic bits I have epoxy’d on to increase the diameter/circumference). I’ll get round to fitting it sometime, but my hope will be that it will make the throttle truly ‘quick action’. You may notice I have slightly ‘ramped’ the end of the twist more than the start? so that I maintain more low down 'feel'

I intend to fit, try, then file to my own specification, so I will have a custom built quick action throttle

Anyone else tried this?
Old 23-07-06, 06:25 PM   #2
haggis

That's a good point. A lobed cam gives the best of both worlds. Nice job.
Old 23-07-06, 08:46 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Nice one... I've got no desire for more, but if I did, that's how I'd do it
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-06, 09:09 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Well it was nice in theory ….

Tried lining it up/fitting it earlier to see how much I needed to modify it. Although it fits inside the switchgear, the end of the throttle cable outer/sheath (i.e. the metal end cap bit) fouls the first part of the new black bit. I purposely ‘worked’ it a few times to mark where the problem was.

To be fair at least half of the depth I have put on will have to come off to get clearance. So like I said nice in theory!! I wonder how much clearance there is with the R6 tube? That might actually be pretty tight itself??

The only other answer is to get complete switchgear off another bike where the throttle tube diameter /circumference is larger than the SV or R6.

Anyone know what bike has a large tube as standard?
Old 24-07-06, 07:08 AM   #5
PeterM

I may be wrong but I think the SV1000 has a quicker action throttle to the 650.
Old 24-07-06, 08:34 AM   #6
SV650Racer

Just be a bit wary of cutting throttle tubes too much as a friend of mine tried to make one for his GSXR1000 race bike..looked fine..until it stuck wide open on the track flat out in top .. the cable got hooked up on the cam as the slot wasnt long enough to hold it in place...be careful