SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-03-17, 11:30 AM   #4321
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

clowncil tax (rates) bill just arrived. As usual less for more Not only has the the county element gone up by 4%. They hide it by saying it is 2% and there is a new 2% line item for "Social care". But

Local council is 2%. err ok. until next line item special expenses 2% another new item!!! and a new £30 to take my garden waste

but then it gets silly

Parish council :-63.5% increase... WTF! and add to that a further 6% special expenses.

The only honesty I can see is the fire authority who have not increased their element. Nor added a "special" expense.

I know Maggies "Community charge" was not popular. But why when there are 4 working adults living here. Do I get this bill. Far better to send a bill to all. Only when all pay will people actually think about who they vote for and their implications of their spending policies on the individuals payments. Why should home owners be a cash cow for the political whims of failed wantabee politicians?

Last edited by timwilky; 13-03-17 at 11:31 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-17, 12:06 PM   #4322
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Far better to send a bill to all.
Only working people pay it as those on benefits get it paid for them with council tax benefit. It's charged but they pay them the same amount as benefit. Crazy.

Those who rent houses have to pay it as well, not just homeowners.

So why not just bung it on income tax and forget about this separate system entirely.
Old 13-03-17, 02:13 PM   #4323
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Quote:
But why when there are 4 working adults living here. Do I get this bill. Far better to send a bill to all.
They could send a bill to everyone in the household but that would increase costs to you.

Or, you could of course state that the charges are being passed on to the household fairly by the way of digs going up.

As you can see I don't have any kids and if I did they'd already be down the pit.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )

Last edited by carelesschucca; 13-03-17 at 02:15 PM.
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-17, 03:01 PM   #4324
Heorot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Dad passed away yesterday not long after I left the hospital.

So I've now got to organise a cremation, help clear out his bungalow and sort out the financial mess and tons of admin. This isn't going to be easy.
Sorry to hear that LPH. We went though that with my partners father. It took us 6 months to clear his bungalow and prepare it for sale as we were both working, he lived in Hunstanton and we live south of Norwich. We still have piles of his papers that she can't bear to throw out because of the memories they hold.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-17, 03:46 PM   #4325
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
They could send a bill to everyone in the household but that would increase costs to you.

Or, you could of course state that the charges are being passed on to the household fairly by the way of digs going up.

As you can see I don't have any kids and if I did they'd already be down the pit.
Digs going up. FFS if I suggested coughing up dig money there would be a revolt. I suppose that would at least be something as at present they do sweet FA. And not kids, graduates in their 30s who came back home as it is cheaper AKA free, compare to fending for themselves. We never charged whilst they were in education. And they don't see why we should start now.

I buy the food, cook it, wash the pots and get moaned at if they do not have immediate access to washer dryer etc. Eldest daughter has banned me from the bathroom before she goes to work as I take too long and leave it smelly. My fault of course as I should have bought a house with multiple bathrooms.
Old 13-03-17, 05:03 PM   #4326
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
My fault
They seem to have got you well trained.
Old 13-03-17, 07:50 PM   #4327
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I used to work with a guy who had four kids, every time one moved out he moved into a smaller place, last I heard he was down to a two bedroom place.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-17, 08:50 PM   #4328
Red ones
Mega Poster

Frigging self assessment.

The mother in law asked me to do her tax return. Now she has a late penalty and can I find where I went wrong (other than agreeing to do it)? HMRC don't appear to employ anyone anymore so there is no help whatsoever. I'm told to complete a form that doesn't exist on what purports to be a website.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-17, 09:30 PM   #4329
BanannaMan

Snow, sleet and freezing rain falling now through tomorrow morning
Hoping we don't have a power outage

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-17, 09:45 PM   #4330
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
The only honesty I can see is the fire authority who have not increased their element. Nor added a "special" expense.
Fire departments are being cut because of new building regs and smoke alarms they have fewer and fewer callouts, they mainly get calls to cats up trees and road accidents these days.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote