SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-04-17, 03:47 PM   #61
aesmith

Default Re: My first pointy

I'd suggest riding it a bit before worrying about lowering the footrests. When I first rode my fully faired pointy K6 I really felt it after each ride, was thinking of lowered foot rests and/or raised bars. However I soon got used to it.

Regarding MPG it really depends on how you ride. I think I once calculated that running full power 70HP would be around 15 litres per hour. At the other end of the scale my commuting which is mostly rural gives me over 60mpg.

I actually think that's pretty poor and an indication that MPG isn't a high priority. I say that because on a similar commute I got nearly the same MPG from my CBR600 which was carburettor rather than FI, heavier, bulkier, more powerful and of course older.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-17, 04:30 PM   #62
Blapper

I get over 60MPG from my curvy.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-17, 08:39 PM   #63
Taipan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
I'd suggest riding it a bit before worrying about lowering the footrests. When I first rode my fully faired pointy K6 I really felt it after each ride, was thinking of lowered foot rests and/or raised bars. However I soon got used to it.

Regarding MPG it really depends on how you ride. I think I once calculated that running full power 70HP would be around 15 litres per hour. At the other end of the scale my commuting which is mostly rural gives me over 60mpg.

I actually think that's pretty poor and an indication that MPG isn't a high priority. I say that because on a similar commute I got nearly the same MPG from my CBR600 which was carburettor rather than FI, heavier, bulkier, more powerful and of course older.
Sadly I have to lower the pegs or sell it. I have a dodgy knee and just can't ride it for any length of time with my leg cramped up like the standard riding position makes me.

High 30s mpg is what I used to get out of my zx9r lol"! I do the same journey on my commute every day and riding in central London on my old curvey got me much higher mpg and when I changed the plugs it was fairly obvious it was, or had been, running rich? Google seems to throw up lots of threads about this on the first of the pointies, so maybe that's just the way some of them are? Rides well enough so I can live with it, just would have preferred to have leaned it out a bit if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
I get over 60MPG from my curvy.
That's good going! I did use to average c55 on my old curvies!
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-17, 06:51 PM   #64
Taipan

Just been out and fitted the race tech fork springs. Fook me they are stiff, hardly any sag at all! Also fitted the foot peg lowering plates, which are really riser plates fitted on the other side upside down. Sitting on the bike th front end is much higher as it's not almost bottoming out and sitting at the top of the fork travel. This suits me immensely and may save me the need of buying higher bars! Pegs are lower but not sure if it will be enough? Looking forward to riding it to find out what the bike feels like now!

Last edited by Taipan; 06-04-17 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-04-17, 10:53 AM   #65
Taipan

Well my daily hack SH300 didnt start this morning, so I fired up the Sv and headed into London on it. Springs have made a big difference in a good way, but the lack of damping is still obvious. The springs have lifted the front end so I don't have quite so much weight on my wrists and the lowered footpegs have made things more comfortable too.

The throttle roll on, since doing he TPS adjustment, is so smooth now. The R6 throttle tube makes it a really nice bike to short shift along on. Quite pleased with the way the bike has come together now. But, the one thing that every SV I've had does, is numb my right hand after 20 or so miles. I look forward to getting caught at the lights so I can shake some life back into it.
Old 11-04-17, 01:33 PM   #66
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
Well my daily hack SH300 didnt start this morning, so I fired up the Sv and headed into London on it. Springs have made a big difference in a good way, but the lack of damping is still obvious. The springs have lifted the front end so I don't have quite so much weight on my wrists and the lowered footpegs have made things more comfortable too.

The throttle roll on, since doing he TPS adjustment, is so smooth now. The R6 throttle tube makes it a really nice bike to short shift along on. Quite pleased with the way the bike has come together now. But, the one thing that every SV I've had does, is numb my right hand after 20 or so miles. I look forward to getting caught at the lights so I can shake some life back into it.
I might fit a new standard throttle shaft so I can fit my Vista Cruise control.This allows me to rest my throttle hand when needed,

http://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/bird2.htm#vcc

on the right.It's costs a bit for a small bit of plastic and it's mechanism but you are paying for the superb small design.I fitted them to both my CX500s and they are a godsend.Worth every penny.They won't work with the Suzuki throttle shafts but will work with your R6 one I think as they are like normal shafts e.g none of the fins/ridges of the Suzuki ones.
Unlike,"Cramp Busters" you can't accidentally hit them.You operate them on and off with your thumb.Dead easy to flick on and off

PS
The original Honda CX500s handlebars have some great anti-vibration damping rods in them,

Parts 12/13/14 on this partsfiche,

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cx500-198...6.html#results

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 11-04-17 at 01:45 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-17, 07:38 PM   #67
Taipan

Thanks for the links. ISTR there were a few Hondas with the big bar inserts? The bars on mine are currently Risomas and I think those and Renthals are thicker walled and wont take a lot of bar ends? Might have to stick some expanding rawlbolts up there! They are too low for me and I need to change them anyway...

Had a nightmare tonight as the cheap crappy speedo mount someone made up broke! so I thought i'd take the twin headlights off to get at the bracket and whilst I was there i'd try and fit the single headlight I have for it. Then i saw the loom, which is all taped up and slightly confusing to say the least and then I realsied being an S originally it had twin headlights and I assume both headlights are on all the time on the S. Shouldn't be too difficult once i start unravelling...
Old 13-04-17, 07:36 AM   #68
Blapper

Both headlights on all the time is a pointy thing isn't it? I don't think that insanity had set in when the curvy was made fortunately.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-17, 08:15 AM   #69
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
Both headlights on all the time is a pointy thing isn't it? I don't think that insanity had set in when the curvy was made fortunately.

IMHO with DRL's on pretty much every vehicle now bikes are at even more of a disadvantage in the visibility game, the more lights the better as far as I am concerned. I have fitted a couple of LED spots as DRL's on my AL7 to supplement the single headlight, wish they had fitted twin headlights and DRL's to it at factory. Retro styling is one thing but visibility is more important.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-17, 09:41 AM   #70
Taipan

Juts looked on Fowlers at te parts fiche and the S has a headlight loom where as it seems the N just has its headlight feed coming from the main loom. Shame Suzuki did it that way as it would have been so much easier to unplug the S loom and plug in the N one! Oh well, looks like its fuse blowing time!