SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-03-17, 10:12 PM   #31
chris8886
Mega Poster

Default Re: Biking and Rheumatoid Arthritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
I also have Keis heated inner gloves for the cold.Heated inners or gloves may help?

they are great and you can get them with a battery pack too so you can use them off the bike as well......
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-17, 11:20 PM   #32
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8886 View Post
they are great and you can get them with a battery pack too so you can use them off the bike as well......
There are very few things we buy that exceed expectations,the Keis inner gloves are one IME.
Initially riding through Winters I would have liked them to be warmer but on the days I didn't plug them in I soon knew I was missing them.They give a gentle heat but one that is perfectly spread around the hand and fingers.Combined with hand-guards and my PUIG screens(Research core body temperature) they give superb comfort.I have VWF and aforementioned RA none of which will stop me riding with the correct adjustment of the sails<see sig>.

Yes they first appeared expensive but the fact that I bought mine around 2010 and they are still going strong and I've warm washed them a couple of times and they still work;total bargain

PS
If you haven't adjusted your handlebars to suit your build you need to....The factory don't know how long your arms are

But do it with your riding gear on!

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 21-03-17 at 11:27 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-17, 12:16 PM   #33
shiftin_gear98

Hello. No idea if these would help, I have just purchased some. As I suffer off and on of numb fingers when riding. For 4 quid I thought them worth a punt.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Ins...UAAOSwfVpYnccl

Review Time - Easy to fit, make sure glue goes off before you try to use them. I didn't do this as I was in a rush.
So far they are really comfy - ok I'm still getting used to squishy levers. Not sure I really like the feel.

But if they help stop the dead fingers then I can handle squishy.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-17, 12:20 PM   #34
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
Hello. No idea if these would help, I have just purchased some. As I suffer off and on of numb fingers when riding. For 4 quid I thought them worth a punt.

Review Time - Easy to fit, make sure glue goes off before you try to use them. I didn't do this as I was in a rush.
So far they are really comfy - ok I'm still getting used to squishy levers. Not sure I really like the feel.

Cool.As you say,worth a punt at that price.

I tried some of them foam handlebar grips but couldn't stand their vagueness but those are different
Old 22-03-17, 01:16 PM   #35
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Hi there, although I am not plagued by RA, I do understand some of your suffering with this illness.

I rebuilt my K3 because I have a combination of a spinal injury, fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis. My hands are the part of me hit the worst and my fingers are now starting to deform, which is not only painful, but unsightly. Thank heavens for bike gloves!

I find that using the clutch causes me a lot of pain, but changing the levers to adjustable ones and keeping on top of maintenance keeps it light. On the plus side though, I cannot ride my partners manky old ZRX anymore because I cannot pull the clutch lever due to weakness and pain in my hands! I know that my days on the SV are also numbered which is a bit pants though.

However, braking was my big worry, there is only so much force I can apply and luckily my right hand is in better condition than my left (No rude jokes thank you, my eyesight is fine! ). What has really helped though is upgrading the brakes. I use a set of Yamaha R1 (same as the R6 and Fazer too I think) calipers mated to braking wave disks on a fork conversion. On the road they provide more than enough power for my limited hand strength. On the track though, I have managed at least one stoppy (unintentionally and poo nearly came out ), those brakes are damn sharp.

A complete overhaul and change of the suspension was essential for my riding to continue and I had the forks reworked by MCT to make them softer and more comfortable for me and my fat 'arris!

I am being treated by Bath Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases and when discussing biking with medical professionals there, they did not seem to grasp just how much I needed my bike to maintain my sanity. This was more my lack of proper explanation than them being unhelpful, but once I made it clear, I was given physio on my hands and now have regular exercises to do. The sad part is that there is nothing else I can do, my hands are old and worn out thanks to injuries gained while working as a rock climber.

I dread the day that I am forced to sell my precious Sylvie and get a dull scooter! Luckily I am also in therapy to help me cope with the bleak nature of existence and the futility of life! They call this pain management and it comes from Taunton pain clinic and frankly, they have been brilliant.

I have also had to inform my insurance company of my medical condition and this had put a small increase on my premium, from £120 ish to just over £130. I am also on limited miles which has reduced the cost, mainly because I can only ride a couple of times a month at the moment.

There is hope and once you find the treatment that works, riding can become a pleasure again, even if it is limited by health. Trying to explain to PIP tribunal that I did not drive, but could ride a bike was fun though! They were very impressed that I can change gear with my left foot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-17, 07:23 PM   #36
bathwiggle

You are all amazingly helpful! I'm just going to keep saying thank you.

Its given me hope enough that bike is charged, has air in the tyres and chain adjusted rather than just making the garage look pretty. Payday is monday and i think i will start ordering things to try and see how it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
PS
If you haven't adjusted your handlebars to suit your build you need to....The factory don't know how long your arms are

But do it with your riding gear on!
The bikes been adjusted a few times, (i've had it 11 years now i think) its really comfortable, i can spend far longer on it that my husband can spent on his sv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post

oo they look like the might spread the force a bit, i'll add them to my shopping list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
Hi there, although I am not plagued by RA, I do understand some of your suffering with this illness.

I rebuilt my K3 because I have a combination of a spinal injury, fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis. My hands are the part of me hit the worst and my fingers are now starting to deform, which is not only painful, but unsightly. Thank heavens for bike gloves!

I find that using the clutch causes me a lot of pain, but changing the levers to adjustable ones and keeping on top of maintenance keeps it light. On the plus side though, I cannot ride my partners manky old ZRX anymore because I cannot pull the clutch lever due to weakness and pain in my hands! I know that my days on the SV are also numbered which is a bit pants though.

However, braking was my big worry, there is only so much force I can apply and luckily my right hand is in better condition than my left (No rude jokes thank you, my eyesight is fine! ). What has really helped though is upgrading the brakes. I use a set of Yamaha R1 (same as the R6 and Fazer too I think) calipers mated to braking wave disks on a fork conversion. On the road they provide more than enough power for my limited hand strength. On the track though, I have managed at least one stoppy (unintentionally and poo nearly came out ), those brakes are damn sharp.

A complete overhaul and change of the suspension was essential for my riding to continue and I had the forks reworked by MCT to make them softer and more comfortable for me and my fat 'arris!

I am being treated by Bath Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases and when discussing biking with medical professionals there, they did not seem to grasp just how much I needed my bike to maintain my sanity. This was more my lack of proper explanation than them being unhelpful, but once I made it clear, I was given physio on my hands and now have regular exercises to do. The sad part is that there is nothing else I can do, my hands are old and worn out thanks to injuries gained while working as a rock climber.

I dread the day that I am forced to sell my precious Sylvie and get a dull scooter! Luckily I am also in therapy to help me cope with the bleak nature of existence and the futility of life! They call this pain management and it comes from Taunton pain clinic and frankly, they have been brilliant.

I have also had to inform my insurance company of my medical condition and this had put a small increase on my premium, from £120 ish to just over £130. I am also on limited miles which has reduced the cost, mainly because I can only ride a couple of times a month at the moment.

There is hope and once you find the treatment that works, riding can become a pleasure again, even if it is limited by health. Trying to explain to PIP tribunal that I did not drive, but could ride a bike was fun though! They were very impressed that I can change gear with my left foot!
Thank you

I haven't told my insurance yet, but thats as im still waiting on a definite diagnosis.

I have found my consultant is taking a while to understand my wants. when i first went to see her i just wanted to be able to work without someone having to take over after 30minutes as i couldnt handle the forceps for working in histology. Now i can do work and open jam jars again, i've moved the goal posts again. I think she's realising how much i actually think i should be able to do. Plus there was a period of me not wanting to start the methotrexate due to concerns of the side effects. I was given physio to start with as i couldn't confidently hold a cup of tea without worrying it would end of the floor, and that helped, but the physio course finished.
Old 22-03-17, 10:37 PM   #37
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

What's positive is that improvements are happening in the areas of treatment. My mum has regular injections, Stu has found a level of medication that works too.

Be aware that tiredness can be a symptom, and as we all know, that affects your concentration when riding.

Keep us updated.
Old 27-03-17, 06:49 AM   #38
shiftin_gear98

Oh, just realised on my way in this morning another thing I added to the bike that has helped (me) a lot.
Tank Grips. By not sliding around anymore my wrist aren't having to take the extra wallop every time I brake a little late.
Old 30-03-17, 07:27 PM   #39
bathwiggle

shiftin_gear98 thank you i'll add it to the list. Hopefully going to make it into the garage this weekend
Old 01-04-17, 08:20 PM   #40
shiftin_gear98

Update on the squidgy levers. I actually like them now. Which typically is a sod, as the clutch side is wearing already! Might see just how long they last. I've done about 250 miles so far. Might look at silicone ones when they go.