SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-09-10, 06:48 PM   #1
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Bike theives - get what they deserve?

Not sure if this is gonna end up 10+ pages long or end up with someone dropping the C*** bomb but I heard earlier this week a biker had been killed on York ring road in a collision with an Audi A3...

Sad news I thought at the time.

Then it transpired that the bike had actually been stolen on tuesday last week and that the rider of the bike (zx9r) was killed when he crossed onto the wrong side of the road and collided with an on coming car.

Full news story here: http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/8368..._named/?ref=mr

If my bike was stolen, I'd be wishing the worst of endings on the person that fiddled with my beloved machine which I work hard to buy & tweak & enjoy, but then this guy was somebody's son/brother/friend... He may have made some wrong choices (unclear as yet whether he stole the bike himself) but if he hadn't been riding the stolen bike he would probably still be walking, talking and breathing this second..

What's your stance on it?

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-10, 06:54 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike theives - get what they deserve?

I dont believe in the death penalty but I would like to see bike thieves given the sort of hiding that would make them think twice about ever doing it again.
Old 04-09-10, 06:55 PM   #3
danf1234

Paul, I am from York also.

Have a read of this post I put up earlier about it!

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=156982
Old 04-09-10, 06:58 PM   #4
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the 6th View Post
but if he hadn't been riding the stolen bike he would probably still be walking, talking and breathing this second..
Don't get how you reach that conclusion, unless you mean he wouldn't have been riding a bike at all - it wasn't a pursuit or anything so if he'd been riding a legal bike then he'd still have had the accident.

If he had pinched it (which isn't clear from the article) then there is some kind of natural justice and I can't raise much sympathy, but I'd wouldn't actively wish it on anybody.
Old 04-09-10, 07:15 PM   #5
svrich

What goes around and all that. I have no real 'belief' in any way but I maintain that everything happens for a reason. He may/may not have stolen the bike but if he didn't he would have been playing his part by riding the stolen bike (either outright knowledge that it was stolen, or buying it from am bloke in the pub knowing that all may not be above board) and riding in a very obviously endangering way. If that was the choices and way of life he chose then things would have caught up with him sooner or later. Things happened to lead to that impact and he made them happen. I feel sorry for the car driver and any passengers. They will have to live with that moment for the rest of their lives.
Old 04-09-10, 07:41 PM   #6
Cornish

its one of those stories where if it was your own bike youd prob not be to bothered about what happened (trying not to sound to evil!) but still sorry to hear he died..
and same as svrich sa.. the car driver was got something horrible to live with from now on.
Old 04-09-10, 08:08 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Too many 'ifs', but if it transpires he had nicked it then my sympathy for him is extremely limited. I have far more sympathy for anyone else involved in the collision, injured or not.

By extension: The above doesn't mean I think that thieves deserve to be killed, but I do have a certain sense of a Karma-alike sort of thing in circumtances like these, by which I mean we make our own luck and we are all of us the architects of our own futures.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-10, 08:18 PM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

Like SS its karma

Not so long ago a guy got electrocuted stealing copper wire from a electricity sub station in Ipswich. His family said he was an angel, the general public gave their thoughts on the local papers website

If you play the hard game, then expect to get hurt sometime

Last edited by maviczap; 04-09-10 at 08:20 PM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-10, 08:20 PM   #9
ethariel

Oh i do indeed wish that my bike morphs into a Vampire Motorcycle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbvqz-nv7Zw) and gets its revenge, but we do live in the real world.

All i can hope is that the scum who stole mine die slowly from some painfull and incurable form of cancer or get randomly murdered by some crack head looking to score a few quid for his next fix.

Failing that, me finding out who it was and where they live would be a bonus!
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-10, 08:23 PM   #10
widepants

Id settle for the robbing towrags to get their fookin heads kicked in
widepants is offline   Reply With Quote