SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-06-12, 08:05 PM   #1
agy

Default Army boots safe for riding?

What's your view on riding in army style/doc martens type boots? I've tried a couple of pairs of bike boots but just couldn't get on with them. They were so bulky! Couldn't feel the pegs, couldn't even get my foot under the gear shifter properly. Felt really unsafe and not in control of the bike as a result.
Love my army boots. I know they don't offer the same protection but...
Old 18-06-12, 08:17 PM   #2
BBadger
Mega Poster

Default Re: Army boots safe for riding?

Well its better than trainers or the likes and if they are decent patrol boots im sure they will hold up but in an off its the impact thats the problem as they have the protection and rigidity the army boots dont.
first things first change the gear/rear break lever positions, and wear the boots round the house to wear them in they soon soften up and have more give then you might feel more comfortable wearing them on the bike.

VFR750 project
Dr350 Project
BBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-12, 08:20 PM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

have you tried some of the more normal footwear types, rather than racing boots? they have far less plastic bits and are less restrictive? as to Army boots, personally I wouldn't use the fabric/mesh type, but a solid soul/ full leather boot would be OK in most circumstances, on occasion I use my old DMS boots , as long as you know the limitations and are happy with that I see no problem.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-12, 08:26 PM   #4
agy

The bike boots I had were akito and swift. didn't like either. the usual ones I ride in are all leather
Old 18-06-12, 08:28 PM   #5
agy

The downside I def noticed on a longer trip was the vibration you feel in the foot. Plus it can get chilly
Old 18-06-12, 08:30 PM   #6
leebex

its the only footwear a mate of mine wears, he doesnt like normal bike boots.

I thought the tongue would let water in, but theyre well sealed, and looks like they last years if looked after.
Old 18-06-12, 08:32 PM   #7
DJFridge

When I was learning, I used a pair of hike boots that I knew were comfortable for exactly the same reasons as you. On my Mod1 I bounced a bit (details elsewhere) and the hike boots definitely stopped my ankle actually breaking, but I bashed up my totally unprotected lower shin quite badly. I tried a lot of different styles, some really bulky and some not so. My only real thing was I knew I didn't want zips - crud builds up in them and then they jam and then they break. I finally settled on these which are available from lots of other shops too. They're pretty light, I can wear them on the bike or walking around, they're just velcro to fasten and they are long enough to have saved my shin if I'd been wearing them at the time!
Old 18-06-12, 08:35 PM   #8
FG1

Have you tried Sidi Black Rain ?
I had a pair of them and they were so so comfy. They are not bulky at all and I reckon you should get on OK with them.
What size are you ?
Old 18-06-12, 08:36 PM   #9
DJ123
Mega Poster

Try these http://www.altberg.co.uk/ for boots

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-12, 08:37 PM   #10
Fallout
Mega Poster

I think you'd get used to normal bike boots quickly. Gear lever doesn't need any feel. You just push it up or down. You could argue that the rear brake pedal needs some feel, but you'll get used to it.

I wouldn't compromise on the ankle protection you get from bike boots. I've heard a story of a guy who came off and the medics on the scene were surprised by a white line leading up to the crash victim and his bike. Turns out his foot was tapped under it as he slid along and it ground his ankle bone into the tarmac. He was wearing trainers.

But I suppose it's all a compromise on safety. You have to make your own choice as to whether you are comfortable with the slightly increased chance of injury. When I wear my Hornee jeans, which have no impact protection (just kevlar lining), I have to accept the fact I'm more likely to shatter a knee cap or hip on impact. I ride accordingly.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote