SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-01-17, 02:18 PM   #1
dyzio
Mega Poster

Default Car MOT problem

The car failed its MOT last week, I’ve replaced the damaged part and I’ve tried to book a re-test. Unfortunately the garage is having some staffing issues and are unable to book me in for the re-test, and are unable to confirm when they will be booking MOTs again.
At the moment I’m waiting for a call when they will be available to re-test it under the 10 days. If not, they have offered to do a new MOT once they will be staffed again free of charge.

I have also been more or less informed, that they do not feel in any way to blame for the situation as I have not used their services for the repairs and if they won’t be refunding me if they cannont re-test it either before the 10 day limit or before the MOT runs out completely (2nd week of Feb.).
On my side I believe they have broken our “contract” and if they cannot retest it because of their staffing issues, I should be refunded the test fee.

I don’t know if this is even a fight worth fighting (for £55) and who to take it up with if need be, but I’ll look into this.

Also, about the MOT, does the 10 day retest apply only to the garage I’ve originally done the MOT in?
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-17, 10:35 PM   #2
Talking Heads

Default Re: Car MOT problem

If you took the car away from the MOT test station to carry out the repairs elsewhere, you are not entitled to a free re-test, you have to pay them a partial re-test fee.
Also, because your car has failed a test you can only use it to drive to a place to have the repairs done or to a pre-arranged MOT test.
If you need to use the car I reckon just write off the initial £55 and get it tested elsewhere.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-17, 08:35 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: Car MOT problem

£55 for a MOT. There are some robbing gits up your neck of the woods. My local charges £35, no retest fees.

But one nearby main dealer made my daughter sign a disclaimer that she was removing a car in a dangerous condition. Would charge for a retest etc. All for a bent lip on a steel road wheel that they wanted to replace at £200. A couple of belts with the lump hammer removed the lip damage. Tested down the road and all happy. She learned a valuable lesson that day. They are not called stealers for nothing.

Find yourself a good local MOT station. Most are more than willing to work with you and do not need use MOTs as a way of generating workshop load.