SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-11-08, 02:00 PM   #1
metalmonkey

Default Bar end Weights

I'm trying to get then back on the bike, and for whatever they just won't tighten up. The screw is tight adn fully in, however they can just pop back out again.

Whats going on, what am I'm dioing wrong. This is really annoying me as I ave no idea, how are these things meant to held in place?
Old 13-11-08, 02:04 PM   #2
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bar end Weights

I had that a while back, are you pushing the nut into the bottom and then trying to screw into that???? Or is the nut still in the bottom? I found that if you extract the bar end, bolt and the nut together, put it all back together outside of the bar, then, slide it into the bar and then tighten up. Found that if you don't do it this way the nut on the end doesn't fix to the bolt properly.......if that makes sense?????

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-08, 02:07 PM   #3
metalmonkey

Thats what I'm doing, I have put trhe entire thing out, put it back togther then put it back down the clip on (handle)

Anyway I make it tight and it just falls out for FFS! Why is it doing that?
Old 13-11-08, 02:10 PM   #4
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Odd......are you pushing hard on the bar end when tightening? At the bottom of the barrel there is an "insert" where the nut sits in and I found that once seated in there correctly and tightened, the rubber packing is compressed and grips the barrel and it was held in place.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-08, 02:14 PM   #5
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Carey View Post
Odd......are you pushing hard on the bar end when tightening? At the bottom of the barrel there is an "insert" where the nut sits in and I found that once seated in there correctly and tightened, the rubber packing is compressed and grips the barrel and it was held in place.
Ah I see, thats where I might be going wrong! I shall go have a look at that and see if I can get it all in place. Plenty shall be applied to the headted grips as well hopefully stop the dam things moving about!
Old 13-11-08, 03:11 PM   #6
metalmonkey

Where is the insert in the bar? I can't see anything is there something that is meant to be down, or is it a groove that it is meant to fit into?

At the moment it is doing nothing and the screw just spins around this is really annyoing I need to beable to use my heated grips and the moment I can't.
Old 13-11-08, 03:26 PM   #7
Ceri JC

The bits of the barend should usually be assembled (from outside to in):
Bolt, barend (largest bit of metal), rubber tube, nut (with grippy surfaced inside to bite into rubber). There will sometimes be a washer or two in there as well. Put the whole thing into the end of the bar. Tighten up the bolt (usually an alun key head). As the bolt rotates through the nut, it will cause the nut to bit down onto the rubber and squash it from long and thin, to short and fat. This makes the barend's diameter effectively increase, causing it to stick inside the tube (which is what you want).

If you are having difficulty putting it in, I'd say one of the following (from most to least likely):
Some existing bar end bits are still in place- usually caused by the existing rubber tube being stuck in. An alun key hooked through the hole, or small spring puller if you have one can usually get it out.
Rubber Tube is catching - The rubber tube has become denatured and is stuck "squashed" and is too fat to fit in.
Wrong sized bar ends for the clipons/bars - EG the diameter of the hole in the end of the bar is different to that of the barend weight.

If it's not catching, it's usually either the bar end isn't assembled correctly, or that the rubber bit is chewed up and won't stick properly.

HTH. Oh and make sure the throttle doesn't stick with the barend in place. If it does, loosen the bar end, move it out a bit and then re-tighten.
Old 13-11-08, 03:32 PM   #8
metalmonkey

I only have one at the moment, however its the orginal bar end.

It fits in fine, its just that it will not become tight, even when it does it can pulled out again! I lost one through this already.

I just don't get why it won't stay in place...
Old 13-11-08, 03:41 PM   #9
Ceri JC

Have you inserted/removed it several times? It's possible that the rubber bit has been chewed up and isn't compressing properly.

Here's how it should work.
Attached Images
File Type: gif barend.GIF (10.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 13-11-08, 04:25 PM   #10
metalmonkey

Done all of that nothing work its fubar, the screw just spins around, when it does get tight it still lose and come out with a bit of a tug, when I move the throttle the bar end weight moves with it.

Do I need to start again and just buy a new throtle tube, new heated grips and bar ends? I just really fed up, something that should just work won't.

Is there anyone that can pyhsically help me do this? As I'm at loss what I need to do now.