SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-03-17, 03:33 PM   #2301
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

It doesn't help that the 'Secondary ticket sales agents' are owned by the main agencies, so Get Me In is owned by Ticketmaster.

I managed to get tickets for Gorillaz yesterday but they sold out in under 10 minutes for a festival. I bet there are now loads on Get Me In and Stubhub.
Old 11-03-17, 04:14 PM   #2302
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev B View Post
In the Uk there is far too much fairytale belief that owning a house is the way to go.Home ownership is a 30+ albatross around your neck,it's never yours in truth because it's eventually the governments come old age when your asset becomes your Nursinghome or Carehome fees,and not your children's inheritance.what happens when your employer moves or closes and the only job you can get is 200 miles away?,then you have a problem of selling your house to buy another when you relocate + the cost of moving etc,like much of Europe renting is far more popular with long term contracts with the freedom to move if required with very few strings attached.Buying is really a thing of the past in my opinion,from a time when you had a job for life or at least you could finish one job Friday and start a new one Monday,and you knew your bank manager by name.Today the Government is truely worried about people not getting on the housing ladder because they know the money poor kids of the future won't have the guaranteed saving for old age and are offering different ways for them to put their heads in the financial noose.Thats my two penny's worth anyway !!!
Indeed
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 05:44 PM   #2303
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I suppose now that PCP leasing cars seems to be the go for younger generation they may well do the same with houses soon. When you think about it having a mortgage is just like paying the rent to a bank or building society, but instead of the rent disappearing into thin air the house is probably increasing in value per year at the same rate you are paying money in. We were paying a mortgage in Australia at 20% interest that was scary. but now that interests rates are hovering around 1% it actually makes more sense than ever to get a mortgage and pay as much as you can off while rates are low - if you leave the money in the bank you will get zilch, zero, nothing.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 11-03-17 at 05:46 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 06:50 PM   #2304
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
...like much of Europe renting is far more popular with long term contracts with the freedom to move if required with very few strings attached.Buying is really a thing of the past in my opinion,from a time when you had a job for life or at least you could finish one job Friday and start a new one Monday,and you knew your bank manager by name.
Or you're a landlord. Someone has to own the properties that people rent. They're making money out of it. And in most cases they're mortgaged properties anyway. Now the poor renter has to fund the lifestyles of the landlord and the bank.

You might lose your house to pay for old age care, but what will you pay with if you don't have a house to sell?

People want to own houses because it's better than not owning a house. You might repay double the value but you end up with something. Or you could rent and end up with nothing. People do tend to get disillusioned with watching the most significant portion of their salary just disappear every month.
Old 11-03-17, 07:19 PM   #2305
Trev B

Fair enough,but I remember interest rate of 14%, negative equity,banks and building society's re possessing homes by the thousand everyday.I totally sympathise with those that want to buy,but zero hour contracts,minimum wage or living wage is never going to persuade any money lender to issue you with a mortgage.!!!
Old 12-03-17, 11:52 AM   #2306
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Fair enough,but I remember interest rate of 14%, negative equity,banks and building society's re possessing homes by the thousand everyday.I totally sympathise with those that want to buy,but zero hour contracts,minimum wage or living wage is never going to persuade any money lender to issue you with a mortgage.!!!
Zero hours contracts should not be mentioned in a "smile of the day" thread!
Old 12-03-17, 01:49 PM   #2307
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Smile of the day - What is yours?

My oblivious daughters are a delight.
They go to a soft play place and played with a little boy and his dad we met in the queue for a couple of hours. Had a lovely time, they all got on well and had a great time. They were oblivious to the looks from other parents or to the fact the dad is a top premiership footballer. Lovely bloke and even ate my make believe pizzas.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 02:54 PM   #2308
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
They were oblivious to the looks from other parents or to the fact the dad is a top premiership footballer. Lovely bloke and even ate my make believe pizzas.

"lovely bloke" and "top premiership footballer" are not phrases I was expecting to read at all!!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 03:46 PM   #2309
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8886 View Post
"lovely bloke" and "top premiership footballer" are not phrases I was expecting to read at all!!
Why not? Because they are a footballer? You can't lump all people with the same career into a box defined by personality. Sure some premiership footballers are going to be less bright, arrogant or selfish. The same could be said for any group. I know a few top former cricketers who are renowned for their sparkling wit and humour, everyone thinks they are lovely blokes but the minute the cameras and mic are switched off they are arrogant, mean to the people who work with them and have egos the size of a planet. It's like assuming all bikers are murderous Hell's Angels.
Old 12-03-17, 05:20 PM   #2310
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
It's like assuming all bikers are murderous Hell's Angels.
We're not?? Aw shucks, that's why I joined up.