SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-03-07, 11:36 PM   #1
Villers

Default SV performance and limits

All,

Im not an avid SV650 fan, I do own one but I had my own reasons for buying it and it has served me well for what I wanted. I had an unexplained crash 12 months ago and needed something that wasnt too vicious to get me back into the swing of things and the SV has served me proud in that capacity.

More and more recently the SV has let me down. Today on a 170 mile trip in cumbria it was found lacking. A few weeks ago I was thrashed on a local dual carriageway from a standstill by an Aston Martin Vantage, fair enough. Today on the motorway I was similarly shown up by a Honda Integra Type R (new shape 225bhp) and an M5 BMW (fair enough). As immune as I am to this (I used to ride a CBR6) theres one more factor that scares me the most and I need your opinions on.

Ive always had a problem when things got bumpy. The lack of adjustment on the rear suspension has often left me with my **** out of the seat on more than a few occasions. This has normally been on back roads though. Today on a fast twisty dual carriageway (near keswick for those in the know!!) I found the bike was almost bouncing round the corner, like it had grip but coudnt cope with it. Now Im not naieve enough to think Im better than the bike so whats going on there? Anyone got similar experience?

On a brighter note Im selling up soon!! 636 on the way!!
Old 25-03-07, 12:21 AM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV performance and limits

Sonds like you rear shock is passed its best and lost its damping, what sort of mileage has the bike got on it ?

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-07, 11:29 AM   #3
LeeSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villers View Post
All,

Im not an avid SV650 fan, I do own one but I had my own reasons for buying it and it has served me well for what I wanted. I had an unexplained crash 12 months ago and needed something that wasnt too vicious to get me back into the swing of things and the SV has served me proud in that capacity.

More and more recently the SV has let me down. Today on a 170 mile trip in cumbria it was found lacking. A few weeks ago I was thrashed on a local dual carriageway from a standstill by an Aston Martin Vantage, fair enough. Today on the motorway I was similarly shown up by a Honda Integra Type R (new shape 225bhp) and an M5 BMW (fair enough). As immune as I am to this (I used to ride a CBR6) theres one more factor that scares me the most and I need your opinions on.

Ive always had a problem when things got bumpy. The lack of adjustment on the rear suspension has often left me with my **** out of the seat on more than a few occasions. This has normally been on back roads though. Today on a fast twisty dual carriageway (near keswick for those in the know!!) I found the bike was almost bouncing round the corner, like it had grip but coudnt cope with it. Now Im not naieve enough to think Im better than the bike so whats going on there? Anyone got similar experience?

On a brighter note Im selling up soon!! 636 on the way!!
I get wobbles all the time when taking sweeping corners 90mph+, its a sports tourer that was built with cheap suspension, also you shouldn't expect miracles from a small v-twin.
Old 25-03-07, 01:03 PM   #4
The Basket

I agree with that. The bike is not a sports bike and cannot be ridden as such without tying it self in knots. Slow and steady wins the race.
Old 25-03-07, 01:11 PM   #5
kwak zzr

i had a scary experience like this in mid wales on a long left hand sweeper at about 110! the back end was starting to wallow and buck but like as said the sv standard rear shock was never ment to do that anyway, ive never had any probs with the front. the back end shock is what starts to shine on the sv1000s.
Old 25-03-07, 04:22 PM   #6
kcowgergmm

if it is an E60 m5 they do 212 MPH so sv looses on the highway
Old 25-03-07, 05:54 PM   #7
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
the back end shock is what starts to shine on the sv1000s.
EVERYTHING on your bike shines!

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-07, 06:08 PM   #8
kwak zzr

errr yea sorry about that if ppl got a lil confused i have tho said this year i am going to ride more and clean less. < truth
Old 25-03-07, 06:25 PM   #9
tj2

Talking Re: SV performance and limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
errr yea sorry about that if ppl got a lil confused i have tho said this year i am going to ride more and clean less. < truth

You reckon?????

Stoke egg run was good today ..... any of you there?

Also didn't see Quiff at his usual haunt this afternoon.... (Cat and Fiddle)

Terry
tj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-07, 06:33 PM   #10
kwak zzr

gotta get up the cat myself soon i'm missing the place. what was the police like up there today?