SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-09-08, 09:27 PM   #31
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: TL Discussion Thread

Like I say, when it suits.
Old 24-09-08, 09:29 PM   #32
amnesia

Plowsie...just to pee in the mix somemore...

A friend of mine moved from a 600 bandit he had done 20k+ miles on in all weathers to a TLR. He just 'had' to have one. It got under his skin, one came up for sale locally and he jumped at it. He was restricted so he bought it without a test ride.

For the first few weeks he loved it. He rode it every day in all weathers as his only form of transport. With a pair of Beowulf cans on it sounds immense. The power is almost neverending compared to the SV too.

We did one 300mile run down the motorway together and the fuel consumption wasn't that much worse than my SV. Sure, you can empty a tank in 50meters - or you can be more sensible and get a respectable distance from it.

However, a couple of confidence sapping moments bought the love affair crashing to an end and he chopped it after 2 months for a FZ1 - basically 'running home' to what he knew - IL4, upright, naked...just with an awful lot more grunt. You cannot put a price on confidence.

He had issues with it in traffic. They run hot, and they will lightly roast your bits n pieces - but so did the R1 I went for a spin on so its not unique in this respect.

He found the clutch heavy and also the weight of the bike was a bit of an issue. I rode it and it is way different to the SV. if you try to ride it with the same amount of physical effort as an SV you will very soon find yourself grass-tracking or hedgehunting. From my short ride on it I found that it really needed to be muscled through any change of direction. Not a problem, just a difference.

Was it a mistake for him to buy it? God no. If he hadn't done it now he would have done it next month, or next year.

Basically, if its what you want unless something comes along that betters it you will probably always want one.
Old 24-09-08, 10:13 PM   #33
plowsie

Default Re: px/swap my tl 1000 for a curvey??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post
i also dont see what doing certain milage on bike has do with it
Miles don't add anything to experience no???

Quote:
Your not gonna go out and bust yourself up? how many offs/near misses/scares etc on the 3 bikes so far?
4 bikes so far And many love many, how many times you been knocked off? Did you not rear end someone on a bike too(this could be a different person...)? Slipped off on ice?

I've had, ohh err, 3 offs, 1 not been my fault as the **** in front left me no option, the other two were. Ohh yeah and theres the drive away when i was rear ended...

I've clocked my mileage up too. 30k in less than two years...1 off every 10k...

I've rode full power SV's, thats no secret, I got on well with them, I just want a little more grunt...

A question for you...Have you seen me ride?

Last edited by plowsie; 24-09-08 at 10:16 PM.
Old 24-09-08, 10:14 PM   #34
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
Plowsie...just to pee in the mix somemore...

A friend of mine moved from a 600 bandit he had done 20k+ miles on in all weathers to a TLR. He just 'had' to have one. It got under his skin, one came up for sale locally and he jumped at it. He was restricted so he bought it without a test ride.

For the first few weeks he loved it. He rode it every day in all weathers as his only form of transport. With a pair of Beowulf cans on it sounds immense. The power is almost neverending compared to the SV too.

We did one 300mile run down the motorway together and the fuel consumption wasn't that much worse than my SV. Sure, you can empty a tank in 50meters - or you can be more sensible and get a respectable distance from it.

However, a couple of confidence sapping moments bought the love affair crashing to an end and he chopped it after 2 months for a FZ1 - basically 'running home' to what he knew - IL4, upright, naked...just with an awful lot more grunt. You cannot put a price on confidence.

He had issues with it in traffic. They run hot, and they will lightly roast your bits n pieces - but so did the R1 I went for a spin on so its not unique in this respect.

He found the clutch heavy and also the weight of the bike was a bit of an issue. I rode it and it is way different to the SV. if you try to ride it with the same amount of physical effort as an SV you will very soon find yourself grass-tracking or hedgehunting. From my short ride on it I found that it really needed to be muscled through any change of direction. Not a problem, just a difference.

Was it a mistake for him to buy it? God no. If he hadn't done it now he would have done it next month, or next year.

Basically, if its what you want unless something comes along that betters it you will probably always want one.
Thanks Amnesia, some more useful info than, ohh your not gonna cope with it cos you can't.
Old 24-09-08, 10:30 PM   #35
ady

didnt mean to start a big debate people!!! pics soon...........
Old 24-09-08, 10:40 PM   #36
aarond

I absolutely loved my little go on one and am in the process of getting one now
Old 24-09-08, 10:42 PM   #37
ady

yea dont get me wrong.... real nice bikes, fast, smooth, n looks the nuts...just too much of a hand full for what i use it for.
Old 25-09-08, 05:36 AM   #38
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Ive done 2500 on the 675, 10000 on my first sv, 1000ish on second
So basically Plowsie has done twice the milleage you have. So thats twice the hours in the seat twisting the throttle, which IMHO is what counts. Its not about how long you've had your license for its about how much time you've actually spent riding it.

Sorry but theres been some right patronising clap trap posted in this thread, if you want the damn TL go and buy it and get it out of your system. At least that way you'll have made your own mind up.

The only peson who knows if you can handle a bike is you. Personally I wouldnt let the opinions of people on an internet forum put me off something especially when they had no real world experience of said motorcyle of their own and are regurgitating the same tired old cliches.

Right I'll get off my soapbox now and go for a ride on my only goes in a straight line, doesnt go round corners, has no midrange and really revvy, cr*p sounding GSXR

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-08, 05:50 AM   #39
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
So basically Plowsie has done twice the milleage you have. So thats twice the hours in the seat twisting the throttle, which IMHO is what counts. Its not about how long you've had your license for its about how much time you've actually spent riding it.

Sorry but theres been some right patronising clap trap posted in this thread, if you want the damn TL go and buy it and get it out of your system. At least that way you'll have made your own mind up.

The only peson who knows if you can handle a bike is you. Personally I wouldnt let the opinions of people on an internet forum put me off something especially when they had no real world experience of said motorcyle of their own and are regurgitating the same tired old cliches.

Right I'll get off my soapbox now and go for a ride on my only goes in a straight line, doesnt go round corners, has no midrange and really revvy, cr*p sounding GSXR
Aye up, you at least got some right Who says they dont go round corners

I agree with some of what you say. But I can say going from a full power to a litre twin (with pretty much the same power output) is a big step, the power is massive in comparison there is more go from any revs in any gear. If you are restricted then that just is going to be mental I really do think it would be silly. I think get at least a couple of thousand miles under the belt on full power SV and ill be happy to recommend a full fat thou twin.

Old 25-09-08, 05:57 AM   #40
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
I agree with some of what you say. But I can say going from a full power to a litre twin (with pretty much the same power output) is a big step, the power is massive in comparison there is more go from any revs in any gear.
Absoloutly but it that jump any bigger than the jump I made from a 12bhp 125 to a full power SV once I passed my test ?

Is that jump any bigger than the jump I made from my SV to my GSXR ?

If you've two years of all weather all type of riding on a restricted SV such as somebody as Yorkie_Chris will have done by the time his restriction is up or somebody like Plowsie has i.e 30K of milleage in two years ? I dont see why you dont have the skills and the experience to make that jump as long as you have a healty dose of respect for it and ease yourself into it whats the problem.

At best its no worse than passing your DAS in one go and then going and buying a GSXR Thou or similar is it ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote