SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-12-08, 02:14 PM   #1
Mr Scruff

Default Radiator/Cooling Fan

Hi all,

For some reason the radiator fan on my 2002 curvy has started running constantly. It's been fine for ages but now as soon as I turn the ignition it kicks in.

It's obviously pretty chilly out so I'm reasonably sure it's not needed, and it was cutting in fine when needed during the warmer summer months (anyone remember those?!).

Anyone got any suggestions? Bike it well maintained and had a main dealer service only about 1000 miles ago. Bike seems to run fine!

Thanks...

(apologies if this has been covered before, I tried searching but the word 'fan' is too short to be included and you'd be amazed at how many results 'cooling' or 'radiator' return!)
Old 13-12-08, 05:50 PM   #2
Kilted Ginger

Default Re: Radiator/Cooling Fan

Stating the obvious but sounds like your thermostat/ temp switch is away. Never had a look on sv but generically you should be able to disconnect wire from switch then start bike if no fan running = goosed switch. You may be able to clean/repair it, depends on type, failing that replace. Like you said cold enough just now that you don't need the fan so plenty of time to fix it. Hth
Old 14-12-08, 02:57 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yes it sounds like either the sensor has had it or the wires have rubbed through and contacted. The sensor lives at the corner of the radiator.
Old 14-12-08, 03:25 PM   #4
nobby

If you lift the tank there is a connection to the thermostat, just disconnect and see if it stops. I have the opposite so tried shortng the plug to see if my fan would run which it did, still to this day Ive not seen it come on of its own accord, something for the better weather I think..