SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-03-05, 01:57 PM   #1
Banus

Default Cooling Fan

Hi all,
After a bit of a run and upon arriving home, I thought I’d let the motor heat up to let the cooling fan cut in and have a run. After a short time the RED overheating warning light on and I eagerly awaited the cooling fan whirling into action. However after waiting another 3 long mins with the warning light still on, the fan DID NOT cut in. I suppose I could have waited longer but I dont really like to see an engine running with a red warning light illuminated so I switched the engine off. I would have thought the fan would have cut in before the warning light came on ? can anybody offer any advice or checks I can make or is this the norm ?- the fan does seem a bit tricky to get at........cheers
Ps: its a SV650S (51 registered) mint with 7K on the clock.
Old 18-03-05, 09:39 PM   #2
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Had the same problem on my '99 SVs

On the right hand side of the rad there is a temp sensor, follow the wiring back to the frame. Just under the tank it goes into a connector. Dis-connect it. There are only two wire in the connector block. Short the two wires on the block on the loom side and the fan should come to life. So that will prove the fan works. If not then the sensor isn't working. In my case and I suspect your's I found that the spade connectors in the connector block were corroded and although the sensor was switching, the current never got back to the fan.. The sensor is just a switch, at normal temps it's off, at a predetermined higher temp it's on.

Hope this helps.

John
Old 19-03-05, 02:32 PM   #3
Banus

Default Cooling Fan

Hi John,
You, little star!!!
It wasn't a case of the teminals being corroded it was more of a case of them not being connected at all !! The two halves of the block connector were about 2" apart. Once connected I've been blown away. Cheers mate. and to think that those lovely people st Cheltenham Suzuki were going to charge me £100+
Thanks again
Kev.
Old 19-03-05, 06:34 PM   #4
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Glad to help. Sounds like the PDI wasn't done too well. Keep and eye on the fan. That connector block seems to collect a lot a rain and it needs a clean up now and then. I sometimes let my bike idle in my drive and listen for the fan, if the red light comes on first, it's time for a clean.

John
Old 10-06-05, 12:53 PM   #5
Shinsei Jutsu

This little connector block is it a 'D' shaped black thing? I need to check mine and was wondering if I had seen the same thing you are on about.
Old 10-06-05, 01:32 PM   #6
wheelnut

bloody hell, you are brave. The red light would have worried me first
Old 10-06-05, 05:00 PM   #7
redeye321

Does anyone know at what temp the fan cuts in? I have never seen mine work.
Old 10-06-05, 09:05 PM   #8
Well Oiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye321
Does anyone know at what temp the fan cuts in? I have never seen mine work.
According to my manual it cuts in when it gets to 96 C and stays on till it's cooled down to 91 C.

so if you want to test it without risking your engine take it out and dangle it into a pan of simmering water, connected to a multimeter, Should have continuity which should remain for a while if you turn off the heat.

Short out the connector on the other side to see if the fan works and you'll have both sides of the circuit tested without running your bike hot.

reminds me.......must check mine as it's never been on since I've had the bike.

Cheers Keith