SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-10-04, 08:47 AM   #1
Peter Henry

Default Oil drain plug- Help.

Guys a bit of a dumb ass question here but please hear me out! Decided to be very nice and caring to my bike and seeing that she now has 3k km on the clock I wanted to treat her to an oil and filter change.
Service manual pretty crap diagram wise so no help there. Can you advise if the object requiring an Allen key to undo it is actually the oil drain plug? I feel a bit of a tw*t even asking but I want to make sure before diving in.
The quicker the reply the quicker the job is done and I am off to the mountains in the sunshine!

Cheers all and stay safe.
Old 17-10-04, 08:51 AM   #2
fraser01

The drain plug is on the underside of the engine...you should see it in your owners manual.

sorry alittle vague but i hope it helps

Regards

Fraser
Old 17-10-04, 08:55 AM   #3
Peter Henry

Fraser....Stop messing about! Where else would a drain plug be! The object in question is ,(when viewing from right hand side of bike) near to the exhaust coming from front cylinder. It's just when I am looking at it with head craned underneath bike there is a bolt head on the other side that just could possibly be a drain plug.
As mentioned I am sitting here all red faced as many guys are gonne be thinking,"what a knob!"
Old 17-10-04, 09:10 AM   #4
jonboy

The drain plug is the large bolt at the bottom of the crankcase and if memory serves me correctly is 14mm. It sits on the lefthand side of the engine and is not the one that requires an allen key.

Be bold.

Old 17-10-04, 09:14 AM   #5
Peter Henry

Jonboy...My knight in shining armour! I must admit I thought it really odd that the tool kit did not contain the implement required for the "plug" I was looking at! So just go find something that a 14 mm spanner/socket fits then?!
Old 17-10-04, 09:15 AM   #6
fraser01

What he said,

Just had a look under the bike and i can see the allen key fit, but that is not the drain plug (don't know what it is)

The bolt with what looks like a right angle triangle in front of it is the correct bolt that you need.
Old 17-10-04, 09:52 AM   #7
wheelnut

Tis the bolt! Yes.

The Allen Screw headed thing is there to fill a hole. Sometimes when the casings are cast they need to have holes so they can machine them.

Remember core plugs in car engines? its the same idea.
Old 17-10-04, 01:26 PM   #8
Peter Henry

Thx for the help fellas.It was indeed the bolt which has a sort of triangular piece of casting sitting proud next to it. Just going out for a nice test run in the sunshine.:riding