SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-12-04, 07:35 PM   #1
SV Stu

Default SV smashed by car pulling out

Heading home on Sunday from a ride out, a car pulled out on me near Portsdown hill in Hants, and i hit the car side on which wrecked most of the body work on the left hand side of the bike and was thrown down on the right hand side of the bike which wrecked that side and the tank after it slid into the kerb.

Anyway my question is, has any one had any experience with legal protection, as i was fortunate in adding legal protection on top of the standard comprehensive insurance, and how long roughly people have had to wait to have their bike put right.
The bike is an SV650S and is only 2 weeks old.
Old 02-12-04, 07:40 PM   #2
splke

thats crap mate
i hope you are ok
Old 02-12-04, 07:49 PM   #3
SV Stu

I've bashed both knees and re-injured an old shoulder problem from my Moto-x days, but got away without any broken bones fortunatley.
Old 02-12-04, 09:24 PM   #4
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

how quick were you doing at the time, did you have time to slow down?
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-04, 09:32 PM   #5
SV Stu

I was only do about 20 at impact from about 30ish as i was following a bus that turned off left, and as i went to carry sraight on the car was there, and as the road were a bit slipery, while taking evasive action, I slid speedway style into the front of the car, which had stopped in the middle of the road at 45 degrees, after realising i was there.
Old 02-12-04, 09:51 PM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Silly, when people see danger they stop. If he could have continued he should have kept on going and not stop. Even so that is so silly to pull out onto the road without being able to see people comming because of the bus.

I know you might call me a stupid car driver (i am getting my DAS this weekend), but since i passed my CBT (two weeks ago) in readiness for the DAS, i have noticed myself looking all round as much as possable before doing anyting and also doing lifesavers before i move lane, most importantly i seem to notice bikes much easier than before and from quite a distance behind and front. Its as if i am a biker already.
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-04, 11:21 PM   #7
Patch

I'm going through something similar at the moment after I hit a police van that pulled out blind into my lane. Fortunately the GS took it well and I didn't drop it.

As to my experience, I have comprehensive cover including legal protection from Carol Nash and the accident happened 4th November still waiting to get the bike repaired.

My advice is if the bike is not rideable get a replacement vehicle and inform the insurtance that the costs will need to be recovered. The fact that I can still ride mine is making less urgency on their part.

If the bike is two weeks old I would think that they may well write it off and replace it with a new one even if the damage is very minor.

Good luck M8 and I'm glad you weren't hurt too bad
Old 02-12-04, 11:56 PM   #8
UncleBob

They're buggers when its written off though, Mine was 5 months old and was totalled 6th Nov, still argueing about the price. Witha Datatool 3 alarm, seat cowl and al my gear they offered me £3400.. As if..

Best of luck in getting this sorted, but put stress down as part of the compensation claim.. You'll need it..
Old 03-12-04, 09:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob
They're buggers when its written off though, Mine was 5 months old and was totalled 6th Nov, still argueing about the price. Witha Datatool 3 alarm, seat cowl and al my gear they offered me £3400.. As if..

Best of luck in getting this sorted, but put stress down as part of the compensation claim.. You'll need it..
thats a **** take, i hate insurance companies!
Old 03-12-04, 09:57 AM   #10
UCBONES

I had my "accident" (kid chucked a skateboard at me!) at the end of june, damage was the best part of three grand, but sorted it using the legal aid that came with my insurance and claimed the money off of the kid's parent's household insuance.

The bike was repaired and back to me by mid July, plus I had the option of a replacement whilst waiting for the repairs. The solicitor who has been dealing with it is currently chasing up the other insurers for the money (they admitted liability in september). She's been really helpful and I wasn't without bike for too long but the financial side is dragging on a bit! Still as long as its sorted out eventually I guess I'm in a much better position than I would have been.

I know when I bought my bike I bought the GAP insurance as well so that if it was stolen or written off inside the first year I would have recieved a brand new bike no matter what my insurers wanted to offer...