SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-11-05, 05:29 PM   #1
Say_Cheese

Default Sore wrists

No not because of what you are all thinking!!!

I have noticed that when I am riding after about 20 mins I start getting pins and needles in my right hand. It is pretty much confined to my right hand although sometimes I do get the same problem in my left hand.

I am just wondering how I can prevent this happening. I can relieve the pins and needles when sat at traffic lights by flexing my fist several times however I would ideally like to stop this in the first place.

Any ideas??

- Otherwise I love the bike!!!
Old 08-11-05, 05:40 PM   #2
El Saxo

It's not uncommon, and it's been posted before on here.

See here

(the above assumes you have an S model) I used to get the pins & needles as well, even on the CB500 when i did my DAS. If it's not the riding position then i suppose its the vibes from the engine. With me it just kind of got better by itself, i dont seem to get them anymore...

HTH
Old 08-11-05, 05:42 PM   #3
$i

buy some handle bar risers or you can try using you inner thighs on the tank to support your body thus taking most of the pressure off of your wrists. after a while riding like this your wont really notice your doing it. good luck
Old 08-11-05, 05:49 PM   #4
kwak zzr

its all to do with the way you ride i think sometime mine kill me but the last 360mile trip i had they were fine
Old 08-11-05, 08:31 PM   #5
SVeeedy Gonzales

Take pressure off your arms by putting more weight on the pegs with your feet, on the sides of the tank with your knees, and having your hands rested on the bars rather than gripping them tightly.

I find I can also take weight off by having balls of feet on the pegs rather than the instep, and if you get down all the way on a faired one, it's possible to rest your chest/gut on the tank and that's very easy on the wrists, but not useful at low speeds/in traffic where it feels odd sitting so low.
Old 10-11-05, 07:09 PM   #6
Say_Cheese

I tried loosening the wrist strap on my gloves as mentioned in the other thread. I now no longer have pins and needles just a mild pain in my hands.
One problem solved another created.
Old 11-11-05, 03:35 AM   #7
SteveH

I had the same prob with my 750 with the tuono now i'am sitting in a more comfortably postion, it does have alot to do with weight on wrists etc, and i'am also getting old
Old 11-11-05, 09:35 AM   #8
Bluewolf

Last edited by Bluewolf; 17-01-11 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-11-05, 09:38 AM   #9
Cloggsy

Try loosening your grip on the bars also... I used to get a numb right hand if I gripped the bars too tight... Relax
Old 11-11-05, 09:46 AM   #10
Johnsilver

I think the sore wrists and numb fingers are two separate problems. I had both when I first had my SV650 S (pointy).

The wrists thing got better partly on its own after a couple months - although I'd agree with the earlier advice re knee-gripping and brake+clutch lever adjustment. I also used a throttle rocker for a while. It clips onto the throttle and allows you to flex your fingers a bit.

The wrists were now no longer getting sore, but I was still getting numbness from vibration. For me the solution turned out to be a 'throttlemeister' available, albeit a mite pricy, from www.bikejohnnies.com . It fits onto the bar end and incorporates a friction adjuster to enable you to take your right hand off for a while when not in traffic. It also incorporates a heavier bar end-weight and also a matching one for the left bar, which have virtually eliminated the vibes anyway. HTH.