SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-08-18, 05:20 PM   #1
yamrdtez

Default dope, topped up engine oil with 2t gear oil

went into the shed today and grabbed some oil of the shelf to top up my sv1000 engine oil. 900mls later it was up to level. fired the bike up and run it up to temp then when putting the oil back on the shelf, oh no, noticed i had used silkolene maintain light gear oil that i use on my 2 stokes, no it's a complete oil and filter change. what a dope

Last edited by yamrdtez; 25-08-18 at 09:22 AM.
Old 22-08-18, 10:05 PM   #2
Talking Heads

Default Re: Dope

Could've been worse, you could've topped it up with brake fluid or screenwash or coolant or washing up liquid or suchlike.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-18, 06:55 AM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

For what it's worth, unless you're actually due a filter change I'd just change the oil and leave the filter. Light gear oil is basically a 10W40 oil with extreme-pressure additives to help stop it shearing under load in gearboxes, and without the detergents that 'engine' oils have. And you only ran the engine under zero load for a few minutes, the gear oil won't contaminate anything or have caused any wear.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-18, 08:10 AM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I never put dope in my engine. It just makes it smoke.
Old 23-08-18, 12:20 PM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

There is a chance that the extreme pressure additives in gear oil may affect the wet clutch, but it is a case of 'suck it and see' - as Craig380 says, you need to get the oil out but the small amount left in filter may not have a bad effect. If you just ran the engine and did not activate the clutch this will have kept the oil from getting between friction surfaces that will be a positive.

I use the maximum (2%) Molyslip or LiqiMoly recommended for wet clutch in my AL7 and have never had a problem.

Does your SV1000 regularly use oil and need topping up ?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 23-08-18 at 12:24 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-18, 12:32 PM   #6
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
There is a chance that the extreme pressure additives in gear oil may affect the wet clutch
The gear oil shouldn't affect the clutch 'cos it's intended for wet-clutch gearboxes in 2-strokes ... the friction plate material is pretty much the same across most bikes ...
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-18, 12:50 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

dont worry about it one little bit. its a 10w40 crankcase motorcycle oil designed for wet clutch operation.

i would be more concerned about having to top up 900ml.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-18, 08:20 AM   #8
shiftin_gear98

Yeah even with my leaking oil cooler hose 900ml is quite a lot.
(All fixed now, new shiny hoses - shame it's the only shiny thing on the bike)
(Even Lances rear wheel dodas aren't shiny anymore)

And the title of this thread is misleading...
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-18, 09:36 AM   #9
yamrdtez

thank you all for your replies, regards the 900ml oil top up i am not sure why it was so low. after selling my curvy 650 18 months ago for a inline 4 bike it soon became a big regret, 4 weeks ago i noticed this k4 sv on ebay and purchased it for £900. low price yes but the bikes got 43k on the clocks. in that 4 weeks all that i have done is changed the fork seals fitted new rear tyre and set the bike up for my riding style. i never checked the oil but did so after i had taken the bike for a ride to be mot'd. i will be dropping the oil and changing the filter soon anyway. the low oil might have been the reason why the temp soon shot up to 90 and in traffic hit the 106 and kicked the fan in. no smoke out of the cans but it as a backfire on shut off on the r/h side can, having said that the bikes been mapped and dyno'd to a power commander 3, k&n filter and race cans and the backfire may just be down to a duff plug.
at the moment it's just trial and error but will keep you all posted on how the bike runs when i start putting miles on it and without doubt i will be turning to you guys for advice.
thanks again all
Tez
Old 25-08-18, 08:34 AM   #10
glang

And the title of this thread is misleading...[/QUOTE]

yes wouldnt help much in a search
glang is offline   Reply With Quote