SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-06-10, 10:36 AM   #1
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Default Bananaman is only 10 years old...and...

has just been told he's going to Disneyland for the first time and will be starring in his own action movie and is getting his own puppy and a new bike and a mega cool tree house and is allowed out until after dark and can have fizzy drinks and sweets when he wants.....

Yep, following his latest PM, I can comfirm that Bill is officially mega super duper excited about the AR and it actually felt like I was reading the words of a 10 year old...lol.

So, Have you ever travelled far from home, completely on your own, not knowing anyone and if so, what are your funniest/scariest moments from those trips.

To start, I travelled to the USA on my own 13 times over four years, met an ex boyfriend over there but more than half the trips were just me.
The funniest and at the same time scariest moment for me was pulling over by a bridge to stretch my legs whilst on the way to the 101 coast road, Oregon. I heard a screen door creek and shut, looked around and there was an oldish man, about as short as me, eye patch over one eye, chewing tobacco, bloodhound by his side and a shotgun cocked over his arm, walking straight for me.

Turned out he was a lovely man, had the shotgun to protect himself in case I was a baddie, but wanted to make sure I was ok and did I need him to call for breakdown
Old 14-06-10, 10:48 AM   #2
davepreston

Default Re: Bananaman is only 10 years old...and...

woohoooo we get to do some yank slapping of my 0400hrs buddy at ar
bill i hope you drink better than your military lads cos their useless
Old 14-06-10, 10:48 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

Interesting one for travel was I had to visit a power station in China. OK I had been there a few times so getting the ferry up the perl river from HK was not a problem. Usually I would be met by one of our guys with a local driver.

This time no one there, so I make a phone call and am told to grab a motorcycle taxi.

My Chinese is limited to hello, no problem, thank you and beer. The taxi of course speeky no english.

So I tell him power station, blank look, I make another call and ask somebody tell this guy where to go. Yup it works, I jump on the back at 15 minutes at the gate.

Again interesting one was working at Pergau Dam (Some may remember aid/arms scandals). Fly to KL, local hop to Kota Baru and then grab a 30 mile taxi to the site. Great service, come out of the little airport say Pergau village and wow this taxi driver knows exactly where to go.

Last edited by timwilky; 14-06-10 at 10:50 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-10, 11:51 AM   #4
slark01

Went to Budapest for the weekend last February on my own. On the saturday night I went to a club called The Oktogon, whilst in there I started to chat to a guy, after about 10 mins or so I realised that the guy was coming onto to me. I explained to him that I was straight and I was not interested. He immediately said that was fine and shot off. The next minute he's back over to where I was sat and introduced me to a group of girls and we all sat together and had a great time chatting away and dancing.
A night to remember, if only I could remember all of it.

Ste
Old 14-06-10, 11:42 PM   #5
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

He's online again....wonder when he'll see this
Old 14-06-10, 11:47 PM   #6
Milky Bar Kid

The furthest I have ever been away from home on my own......was to meet you and Daniel!!
Old 15-06-10, 12:13 AM   #7
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
The furthest I have ever been away from home on my own......was to meet you and Daniel!!
When we were kids we got taken to RAF Lyneham and put on a Bristol Britannia to fly to Singapore with no parents, I was coming up 4 years old - the rents were following the next day for some obscure reason that I unremember. As it turned out, being the middle of winter and early 1966, not all airports were flying because of the bad weather that struck the same night we left, so the plane they were meant to be on didn't take off.

So me and my 2 elder sisters landed in Singapore after a 28 hour flight that included fuel stops in Kuwait and Colombo, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) and were taken by army personnel and put in a transit hotel with a load of our friends (all kids from other families in my dad's unit) to wait for our folks. Two weeks later the parents turned up with our baby sister and spoiled the party, after the plane they got on originally had to turn back with engine trouble and other subsequent delays.

I don't remember a thing about it though, just going by what the rents and my elder sisters tell me.
Old 15-06-10, 12:44 AM   #8
BanannaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
has just been told he's going to Disneyland for the first time and will be starring in his own action movie and is getting his own puppy and a new bike and a mega cool tree house and is allowed out until after dark and can have fizzy drinks and sweets when he wants.....

Yep, following his latest PM, I can comfirm that Bill is officially mega super duper excited about the AR and it actually felt like I was reading the words of a 10 year old...lol.

It's all true!
I am really 10 years old, just look really old for my age!

Truthfully I think I'm more excited about this trip than I have been about anything since I was 10 years old.
Can't Wait!!!!

Seems things are always "special" for a US traveler, no matter where you go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepreston View Post
woohoooo we get to do some yank slapping of my 0400hrs buddy at ar
bill i hope you drink better than your military lads cos their useless

Er.... No thank you on that "yank slapping" Dave.
200 of you , one of me. Nah, the hell with that.
Send the first one to the A & E ****ed up and be done with it.
No more problems for the weekend.

Drinking, I'm a lightweight. Useless, etc.
(51 with some health problems)

Sounds like I'm still in top form for the military though. LOL

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

Last edited by BanannaMan; 15-06-10 at 01:35 AM.
BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-10, 12:55 AM   #9
davepreston

dont worry bill i'll look after ya

if only to blag a stopping point when im next over the water

i have a sneaky suspicion you will be winning the furthest travelled to ar award

and your first british (read not watered down) pint is on me
Old 15-06-10, 11:22 AM   #10
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepreston View Post

and your first british (read not watered down) pint is on me
Dave, if ever you g to the states...make sure to visit Portland, Oregon. There are more microbreweries there than in pretty much the rest of north america. Lots of microbreweries and an alarmingly high number of strip clubs for what is actually a really nice city!

Seriously, the beers and ales there are amazing