SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-06-11, 08:59 AM   #31
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Test ride challenge

I had a 600rr for years, I found it super comfy. One of the main reasons I didn't go for the 675 when I bought the 600rr was because it was so uncomfortable.

The 675 is really thin, and really tall with an extreme riding position in comparison to the 600rr.
Old 07-06-11, 09:10 AM   #32
dyzio
Mega Poster

The guy I'm doing my euro riding with has a 2006 600rr, as much as I like that bike, every time I sat on it, for some reason I thought I was doing a hand stand . He's not complaining.

I think I made a mistake by chatting to a Daytona owner whilst waiting for the ferry. I actually liked the slimness and lightness of how it felt when sat on it. Ok I know any bike will give that feeling as I ride a barge but it felt rather ok.

G,
Have you ridden the Daytona?
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 10:05 AM   #33
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzio View Post
G,
Have you ridden the Daytona?
Not for any real duration to test that side of comfort, I did around 20 miles on it and never felt part of it, just on top of it if that makes sense.
Old 09-06-11, 09:27 AM   #34
L3nny
Mega Poster

Test 5 - 2007 KTM 950 Supermoto 20 miles
Total Mileage 148

I actually did this a few weeks ago but kept forgetting to do a write up.

I test rode this bike after a rideout with some people on here and Mr Spiers kindly let me have a quick blast on his Hypermotard.

I have always liked the idea of a Supermoto, small bike, wide bars and lots of low down grunt. Not the fastest thing on the road in a straight line but easy to ride on the twisties and able to absorb the bumps on the crappy roads around me.

The first thing I noticed was how basic it was, a manual choke, no rev counter, no clock all you get is a digital speedo, temp gauge and a fuel light.

The next thing you notice, when you sit on it is how tall the bike is. I don't have the longest legs but can put both feet on the floor on most bikes, this however I could just about get one foot down. Not much of a problem until you have to do a hill start, then things get a bit wobbly.

This will upset a lot of people on here but I don't think I am too keen on V-twins. The sound from the twin MTC cans was awesome and there is plenty of low down grunt but the range of useable power is too small I found myself changing gear as much as I would on a small capacity IL4. Suppose I am just used to a bike where you can accelerate pretty much in any gear at any speed.

I thought I was going to love this bike and I did in a way but I couldn't have it as my only bike. It's good for a laugh and would love one as a second bike but not sure I could live with it every day.

Had to cut the ride short because firstly I was late getting to the dealer thanks to the stupid Redditch road system and then it started peeing down.

Last edited by L3nny; 09-06-11 at 09:32 AM.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 09:51 AM   #35
L3nny
Mega Poster

Test 6 - 2011 Kawasaki Z1000SX 46 Miles
Total Mileage 194

On paper this bike looks like all things to all men. Its based on the naked Z1000, which I have been told is an awesome bike on its own, but has fairing, an adjustable screen and detachable side panniers. It's marketed as a sports tourer with the emphasis on sport. This is definitely the case. This is in no way a tourer it's not even a sports tourer like a VFR or Blackbird.

The seat it rock hard and the foot position is cramped and the suspension is pretty stiff so it's not really a bike you could do serious miles on and because you sit high up the fairing doesn't offer as much wind protection as it does on a proper sports bike.

So this bike isn't really a tourer so what's it like as a sports bike. Well the only thing I can say is it's amazing! The engine is sublime it's all about midrange and the power is always there whenever you want it. I don't know if it is but it felt so much faster than my Fireblade the handling was also brilliant, within 20 mins of riding it I was getting my knee down, the bike felt so planted and the wide bars made it so easy to chuck about.

In the promo pics the bike looks awesome

But when you look up close you can tell it's a naked bike with fairing added as an afterthought, the screen doesn't look like it's very well made and when placed upright it looks odd. The demo model I rode which only had 1200 miles on it had paint rubbing off it so the build quality isn't the best.

I really enjoyed this bike and would be very tempted to buy it but would ride the naked first. The SX is £1300 more than the naked and that's before you've put any luggage on it. I think the smart choice would be to get the naked and fit a screen and a top box.

Last edited by L3nny; 09-06-11 at 10:05 AM.
L3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-11, 05:00 PM   #36
skidmarx

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
I've been trying to tell folk on this forum for years exactly what you have discovered about these engines, but I've given up because the 600 IL4 owners just won't accept any criticism of their precious bikes and insist they are lightening quick right from tickover.

What's good to see about your comments is that you have ridden the bikes back to back, and you are accustomed to an accomplished respected litre IL4, not an SV650 (!), and you have reached exactly the same conclusions, and crucially weren't disappointed by the 675 engine, proving it's not simply because you are used to riding a litre bike.

As you have noted with the 675, mid size triples and twins have the ability to feel like a much bigger bike lower in the rev range, whereas the 600 IL4's cannot. With an IL4 there is absolutely no substitute for cubic capacity! If you are addicted to a 600 IL4, then it's a different attribute that you are getting or seeking from the bike.
It is a different attribute, depends what you like! The 600rr is imo a superb bike, it makes you work hard and plan ahead. Plenty of power if you use the revs as it was designed to be used. I didn't like the fireblade, far too easy to get a move on and you don't get to play tunes on the gearbox. I thought the 675 was for me, and found it also a bit too torquey, hence not enough of an excuse to keep changing gear. Which I
like doing! To the OP, all of these will cripple you on a long run, plenty of miles does help you adapt though. I'd much rather have a rewarding ride than be comfortable. There's nothing like a few hundred miles of motorways, followed by a couple of hours in the twisties to remind you that the pain IS WORTH IT!
Soft panniers, rucksack, some stretching exercises, a 600rr. Bliss. Not for everyone though...
Old 11-04-12, 03:57 PM   #37
L3nny
Mega Poster

Old 11-04-12, 03:57 PM   #38
L3nny
Mega Poster

Test 7 - 2011 Honda VFR 1200 DCT 23 Miles
Total Mileage 217

Well now I am a motorcyclist again I have decided to carry this on a bit more.

Was supposed to be going to Tesco to do the weekly shop but took a detour to the local Honda dealer and ended up booking myself onto a test ride. Quick run round Tesco then back home to grab my helmet and i was on a VFR 1200 and at the best part of 14 grand the most expensive bike I had ridden.

First thing that strikes you with this bike is the left side of your body doesn't do much, there is no clutch lever and no gear lever. Instead there is a switch on the right bar where you can select Neutral, Drive or Sport modes. There is also another switch where you can select manual mode.

On the right bar there are gear up and down switches and a "hand brake"! This comes in handy when sat at a red light on an incline but not so handy when you apply it and can't figure out how to take it off leaving you looking like a right tit in front of all the cars you just filtered past!

The dealer spent some time going over all the controls and it sounded pretty complicated but once you get on the bike it's all straight forward enough, in Drive it's just like a scooter, twist and go but instead of CVT transmission there is a proper 6 speed gearbox.

Moving out of the busy town it was brilliant, just like riding a scooter, the riding position was great, it's got clip-ons but the position is more like that of a naked bike, the footpegs are high enough for sporty riding but low enough to be comfortable and I could get both my stumpy legs flat on the floor.

For a large heavy bike it filtered with ease and the weight isn't noticeable at all.

The engine is sublime, the V4 has so much torque it feels like it wants to rip your arms off, even in normal Drive mode it can shift, but knock it into sport and it holds the gear right up to the red line and will leave it in 4th when you are behind a car doing 50 allowing you to overtake with ease. At lower revs the bike it easy to ride and smooth but open up the throttle and 3 digits will be showing on the speedo before you know it. The optional Akra can that was fitted sounded lovely as well.

In manual mode the gear changes are silky smooth and it will even blip the throttle for you when changing down.

Handling wise it felt like a much lighter smaller bike, in low speed bends and roundabouts I was aware of the weight a little but on the faster bends you could flick it around like a sports bike. The ride is a bit softer than a sports bike but that just made it more comfortable on crappy road surfaces.

I even managed to find out that the fairing offers excellent weather protection as it started hammering down half way through the ride.

The VFR has to be the best bike for a long sporty ride I have ridden. I doubt a Fireblade etc would be any quicker on the road and this is far more comfortable.

There is no way I could afford it though and even if I could I don't think I would spend over 13 grand on a bike, especially when there are used ones on autotrader for around 9 with less than 3000 miles on.

Oh yer, and it's fugly, see below!

Look no clutch!

Old 11-04-12, 07:08 PM   #39
Specialone

I've fancied a go on one of these, I bet they are great touring bikes especially with a pillion.

Im used to a heavy bike so I doubt it would be that much heavier to ride than my sprint.
Old 11-04-12, 07:26 PM   #40
L3nny
Mega Poster

Any bike would be heavy with you on it.

Gonna try and get a ride on a sprint soon so will let you know how it compares.