SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-10-17, 10:29 AM   #1
corkzak

Default LED leading indicator help

Hi guys I need help.
I bought some LED leading indicators for my Gladius. When connected to battery directly each led comes on one at a time from left to right and then starts again from left to right etc. Problem when connected to bike only the first 3 LEDs blink on one at a time. I went back to Alchamy Parts and they said I have too bridge two pins on the indicator relay. Trouble is I don't know what pins to bridge. I have changed the relay for a LED one but that only changed the flash rate. Can anyone help me please

Specification:

12V
Bullet style wire connectors
Sequential indicator repeater style
Finish: black plastic
Sold as a pair
For measurements, please refer to our photos
These indicators are not homologated / E-marked or DOT approved (for American use)

HOW TO MAKE THEM WORK:
Assuming your bike had a 3 pin flasher relay, remove it. The 1st pin is the live feed, the 2nd pin is from the switch and the 3rd pin is earth.
You just need to bridge the live feed and the switch together - forget about the earth.
You can fit an in-line fuse, but it's usually not necessary.

My relay is 7 pin Suzuki LED relay

Last edited by corkzak; 08-10-17 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Added more detail
Old 08-10-17, 12:42 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: LED leading indicator help

if you have a proper 7pin led relay then you dont need to bridge any pins. my guess is that you have the wires round the wrong way on one or more with your indicators. an led only works if the power is flowing in the correct direction, its in the name Light Emitting DIODE.

suzuki 'earth' is black with white tracer all other colours are 'live' including black.

take the indicators and connect each one to a battery, when the indicator lights up then you have the correct wiring orientation so mark the wire that is connected on the indicator that goes to the red (positive) wire on the battery with some tape, sometimes they work in both directions in which case mark the wire that is not black with white tracer. the other wire is the 'ground' (black with white tracer). when connecting the indicators to the bikes loom you connect the wire with the tape to a colour usually green (right side) and usually black (left side) for the bikes indicator loom then connect the other wire to black/white.

top tip: most indicators have a drain hole in them so have a good look at the joint between the lens and casing for a small hole/slit/dimple. you want the 'hole' to the bottom when the indicator is fitted or the indicator will fill up with moisture/water.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-17, 01:36 PM   #3
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

top tip: most indicators have a drain hole in them so have a good look at the joint between the lens and casing for a small hole/slit/dimple. you want the 'hole' to the bottom when the indicator is fitted or the indicator will fill up with moisture/water.
Well, you learn something new every day! I had no idea that was the case
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-17, 04:22 PM   #4
corkzak

I have checked all the wires and they are all connected correctly. I also checked each indicator with a 9 volt battery and every led lights up. If I put the old relay back in no led light up.
Old 08-10-17, 05:48 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

ok looks like the indys have a built in controller that requires the live to be constant.

give this a try: red is the pins you need to bridge. F and G are feed for relay power and switch.

Old 08-10-17, 07:30 PM   #6
corkzak

Many thanks they work a treat. I have a video and will try upload it.
Old 08-10-17, 07:40 PM   #7
corkzak

Looks like I can't upload mp4 video. Many many thanks for the help. You can see how they work at Alchemyparts.com
Old 08-10-17, 07:50 PM   #8
corkzak

Thank you Bibio. Worked a charm
Old 08-10-17, 08:02 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

my pleasure

interesting as this would mean that you could fit those led sequential indys without needing an led capable relay. sweeeeet
Old 08-10-17, 08:16 PM   #10
corkzak

Ditto. I bridged the old relay for the bulb Indies and then the led relay. Same blink rate with both. Happy me.