SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-07-06, 04:32 PM   #1
jonboy

Default More from white van man

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...258008,00.html

Well if it applies to cyclists then I'm sure it does to bike riders too; it's official, WVM is bleedin' dangerous (but we knew that anyway).

(Great pic though .)

Old 06-07-06, 05:18 PM   #2
Dicky Ticker

Kin ell they already have special cycle lanes what more do they want. They will be expecting them to stop for red lights soon and ban them from riding on zebra crossings Tax the barstewards for using my road I say I have four vehicles and can only drive one at a time ------all that road fund so they can have more space?

On a serious note I do object to the box at traffic lights when you end up with 6-8 cyclists in it and they hold up the flow of traffic when Mr Livingstone has already shortened the light sequence
Old 06-07-06, 05:33 PM   #3
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmacsv650

On a serious note I do object to the box at traffic lights when you end up with 6-8 cyclists in it and they hold up the flow of traffic when Mr Livingstone has already shortened the light sequence
I like that box. It serves as a useful space for me to get my bike into when I filter to the front at lights.
Old 06-07-06, 06:57 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Quote:

I like that box. It serves as a useful space for me to get my bike into when I filter to the front at lights.
What he said

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-06, 08:28 PM   #5
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Quote:

What he said
3 points and a £60 fine if you're caught (As I understand it)

I of course never do such a thing, oh no.
Old 06-07-06, 08:42 PM   #6
Dicky Ticker

The point not mentioned is that the WVM is probably25-30cms wider than your average car so to be in the middle of the available road space the vehicle is taking up 10cms both sides of this space Surveys and statistics----oh such joys

All I can say is he will be in for a shock if he measures truck clearances to other vehicles in London.s streets,more like 10cms total clearance,but as long as we don't hit them thats OK
Old 06-07-06, 09:46 PM   #7
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel

have you got any links, etc that show this? i thought it would be non-endorsable, what offence would it come under? sounds like the same as using a bus lane, for example, which is a non-endorsable offence...?
Old 06-07-06, 09:47 PM   #8
Davido

I got a £30 fine for going in a bus lane. it was listed as a 'moving traffic offence'.
Old 06-07-06, 10:40 PM   #9
fraser01

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel

have you got any links, etc that show this? i thought it would be non-endorsable, what offence would it come under? sounds like the same as using a bus lane, for example, which is a non-endorsable offence...?
Interesting question really, contravening a cycle lane is a £30 fine, however if you contaven a stop line then that is a £60 and 3 points. Its something i have never considered but applying the letter of the law, any motor vehicle should stop at the first stop line and not enter into the marked area...this includes motorbikes
So before complaining at a cage driver, remember you could be in the wrong also

Hope this helps

Rich
Old 06-07-06, 10:55 PM   #10
ArtyLady

Re the topic of this thread - cheek!! my OH has a white transit and he's a very careful considerate driver - so there :P

Quote:

As you well know Mr Maccie I ride a bicycle so dont you be startin' on me matey (friggin thing when I get my licence back I never want plant my backside on it ever again )