SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Exhausts Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 01-02-05, 10:03 PM   #1
kwak zzr

Default very cheap exhaust mod "idea"

my sv650sk3 is a great bike but as you know it sounds like a sewing machine,is there any way of modifing the original exhaust to sound abit beefer?
"could you" and i mean could you ! drill the internals out of the original can !!! about 12 inches down the original can there is a plate which stops the can having a straight through build this forces the gasses and noise around the sides and through the exhaust packing.
i was wondering if you could drill a hole through this plate to release some more noise! the engine would then map its self wouldnt it?
i am as you can guess to tight to buy a race can and i dont fancy cutting the system to a new bike.
any ideas?
daz (midlands)
Old 01-02-05, 11:23 PM   #2
Carsick

You can drill it to make more noise indeed.
I think there's a bit of a guide on how to do it on the svrider.com site (tip, get a big drill, make it spin, shove it in the end)
Not something I'm keen on doing, personally, since I'd like to be able to return the bike to more or less stock when I come to sell it.
As for the remapping itself, no, it won't adjust itself, but I don't suppose you'll make a big enough difference to make a remapping worthwhile.
Old 01-02-05, 11:27 PM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

thats pretty much what I was doing to bikes about 30 years ago.

whether the dynamic threshhold is great enough to adjust to this type of thing is anyones guess, but I think you should be OK (that's a guess by the way, no guarantees)

I might indeed do this myself on mine but only because I'll be fitting a standard exhaust back on (and I have three, so if it doesn't work I can just bin it).

Let us know if it works and what sort of improvement it makes to the sound.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 08:23 AM   #4
wyrdness

I wouldn't do this, as you can't then re-fit the original exhaust for your MOT. You'd be better off buying a cheapish aftermarket can.
Old 02-02-05, 08:46 AM   #5
Rune

I think Wyrdness is right but if plan on doing it anyway have a look at this that I lifted off Svrider:
Anyone who owns an SV650 knows that the stock muffler makes the engine sound like a lawnmower. If you want better sound without the expense of aftermarket exhaust and rejetting, go down to the local hardware and pick up a drill bit extension (approx. 13" long) and a good quarter inch steel cutting bit. Chuck the extended bit into your drill and insert it into the end of the muffler until it bottoms against the inner baffle plate. Carefully drill through the baffle in three or four equally spaced places (use a flashlight). Don't worry about the shavings since they will be trapped or blown out and cannot reach the motor. Add holes till you get the amount of sound you want. You won't believe how much better it will sound with no loss in performance. Later on, when the piggy bank is fat, spring for a slip on and rejett with a K&N filter. It's worth the price in performance gains, believe me!
Old 02-02-05, 09:23 AM   #6
Anonymous

I dont think you would run into MOT problems as its still e-marked I I dont think they do a db test, but am probably wrong!

But anyhow when I got my SV I was reading about this and someone else said it sounded pants and therefore they ended up getting a slip-on (or had it fixed, cant remember). So if I were you make sure if you try it there some cash for a slip-on waiting just in case!
Old 02-02-05, 09:54 PM   #7
kwak zzr

Default drilling the exhaust (engine remap)

my local dealer told me that remapping wouldnt have to be done on the fuel injected models,just start it up without touching the throttle and leave it for about a minute while it re adjusts.
daz (midlands)
Old 18-05-05, 06:53 AM   #8
Junior

I've done it to mine. (no MOT to worry about here though). It sounds slightly louder than stock, and slightly raspier as well. Kind of like a mellow aftermarket exhaust. I drilled 6 1/4" holes in said baffle, withno problems. Basically I drilled a couple, started it up, drilled a couple more, etc. till I got a sound I liked. As for legality I have no idea.
Old 18-05-05, 07:41 AM   #9
Anonymous

Since posting last about this I read that its a fairly common mod on the v-strom too which isnt a million miles away. On the v-strom tho you can unbolt the end plate and then drill away so its probably easier.

Glad someone has posted whos done it tho.
Old 18-05-05, 01:01 PM   #10
kingnothing

here's the link..... http://forum.svrider.com/viewtopic.php?t=38130