SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-03-19, 01:20 PM   #11
ShadowCaptain

Default Re: Electric/Mechanical gremlins?

Thanks everyone for the feedback and help I’ll see what I can do over the weekend, I go to LA on Monday so I might not get time to get everything tested but the replies so far have been extremely helpful

I’ve had the bike like 6 years tbh and it’s been flawless mechanically even with its tiny journeys,. It just seems to have gotten worse recently

I will report back if I find anything! You have all been great

Honestly if I could throw £500 at the bike to have it like new I’d do it in a heartbeat, I cannot afford a new bike but this cost me like £2k and it’s been such a fun machine I never want to see it go
ShadowCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 01:22 PM   #12
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

The tensioners may rattle but that doesn't make them crap, there's a sleeve inside that rattles about, very rare to see one actually fail.

Electrics wise, if you've got flickering lights etc then there's obviously some gremlin in there. Top candidates are the connector from the main fuse on top of the starter relay, bad earth (there's a couple of connections buried in the loom that can snot up) and connectors that feed the clocks.

Lumpy idle, probably needs a service. Carb balance sorts that.
Old 07-03-19, 02:41 PM   #13
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaptain View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback and help I’ll see what I can do over the weekend, I go to LA on Monday so I might not get time to get everything tested but the replies so far have been extremely helpful

I’ve had the bike like 6 years tbh and it’s been flawless mechanically even with its tiny journeys,. It just seems to have gotten worse recently

I will report back if I find anything! You have all been great

Honestly if I could throw £500 at the bike to have it like new I’d do it in a heartbeat, I cannot afford a new bike but this cost me like £2k and it’s been such a fun machine I never want to see it go
Have you been keeping the bike serviced for the 6 years you have owned it? If so why not just take it to wherever you have been getting it maintained and £500 will go a very long way to getting it sorted out.

... If not then now would be a good time to find a local bike mechanic or bike shop (not a main dealer, £500 won't go far there). Just ask around local bikers or search the internet for a local chap and leave it with him. It is hard for us to guess what might be the problem by proxy, but a good bike mechanic with a knowledge of SVs would diagnose the issues very quickly.

Good fortune,

Alan
Old 07-03-19, 03:30 PM   #14
ShadowCaptain

Yes absolutely serviced every year without fail

I guess that might be my only solution, I havnt really been happy with any of the mechanics in the area so I didn’t know if anyone in my area knew of anyone good with this model

Thanks Alan
ShadowCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 05:18 PM   #15
Mega Poster

Could be any of the following:

Bad earth
Green connector of death going bad
Some other wiring/connector blocks having ingested a lot of filth and potentially burned out with your RR going bad
Old 07-03-19, 05:21 PM   #16
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:

I guess that might be my only solution, I havnt really been happy with any of the mechanics in the area so I didn’t know if anyone in my area knew of anyone good with this model

Thanks Alan
Good point from Poster 650.

Check out my Blog on my R/R upgrade as well as previous electrical connector cleaning,

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/Mosf...sfetUniRR.html
Old 07-03-19, 05:37 PM   #17
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
The tensioners may rattle but that doesn't make them crap, there's a sleeve inside that rattles about, very rare to see one actually fail.

Electrics wise, if you've got flickering lights etc then there's obviously some gremlin in there. Top candidates are the connector from the main fuse on top of the starter relay, bad earth (there's a couple of connections buried in the loom that can snot up) and connectors that feed the clocks.

Lumpy idle, probably needs a service. Carb balance sorts that.
Quote:
Maybe you should have a chat with the man quoted at the top of this post!
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 06:31 PM   #18
Othen

Default Electric/Mechanical gremlins?

Quote:

Thanks Alan
I just did a quick search on Yell and this chap looks to be okay, he is not too far (and he will collect and return your bike), he seems to have good reviews:

https://www.cjmotoengineering.com/?u..._campaign=yell

I don't know the area myself (I live in the Midlands) but if I was looking for a bike mechanic I might try someone like this.

Maybe you could get him to collect before your trip next week?

Alan

Last edited by Othen; 07-03-19 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-03-19, 09:54 PM   #19
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Good point from Poster 650.

Check out my Blog on my R/R upgrade as well as previous electrical connector cleaning,

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/Mosf...sfetUniRR.html

Is the Reg/rec something that will definitely fail? Is it worth changing out in advance at a certain mileage?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 07:46 AM   #20
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Is the Reg/rec something that will definitely fail? Is it worth changing out in advance at a certain mileage?
No, it's not. I'm just nudging 90,000 miles on my 2000 curvy and it's still on the original rec/rec.
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote