SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 27-02-07, 10:40 PM   #1
-Ralph-

Default Rust!

Noticed my forks starting to pit and rust just below the clip on's today and I'm not impressed! 9 months old! And it's not like it's been abandoned outside either. Sometimes goes a week without a clean 'cos I don't currently have an outside tap (the old one is now inside my new conservatory waiting for me to move it), but it's cleaned properly at least once a week, dry, garaged, and well WD40'd afterwards.

Is there any kind of anti-perforation warranty?
Old 28-02-07, 08:04 AM   #2
Tiger 55

Default Re: Rust!

I found a pit on one of my forks after Monday's cleanathon too. I mean it's tiny but it's only heading one way.

I'm going to post a pic on Talk, Tuning and Tweaking and see what the big brains think.

Should've bought the Z750...
Old 28-02-07, 08:44 AM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

Ok. are you sure its rust and not just rust residue, if you know what i mean (Rust coloured water that dried)

Your forks will pit no matter what you do. However sisnce i polished my forks, they dont pit or corrode any more. Just once in a while a quick Autosol, job done.

If you think that there is cause for concern, then yes the fork lowers are covered under warranty.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-07, 09:44 AM   #4
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Know how you feel, got my 1st (wee)stone chip on the tank friday, "mortared" up by a car miles infront, "Incoming!" ...dunk.....absolutely gutted......k3 11,000miles! Still not nice.

TBH pitted forks are only a real problem if they are below the bottom yoke when they can start blowing fork seals reguarly.

Quite right to go for a warranty claim though, if it annoys you. "Never seen salt etc."
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-07, 09:58 AM   #5
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAMASHER View Post
Quite right to go for a warranty claim though, if it annoys you. "Never seen salt etc."
Me: I'd like my forks replaced under warranty. My bike has never seen salt.

Them: Sorry, what was the last bit again?

Me: Never seen salt.

Them: I can't hear you. Why are you talking to the floor?

Them: Look me in the eye!

-----
No, I couldn't do it...
Old 28-02-07, 10:15 AM   #6
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

..........I had originally put "never seen rain" too! .....thought THAT was maybe pushing it.......

Too much photographic evidence against you on here Tiger55 (even if you do try hide the steed behind motors).
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-07, 10:15 AM   #7
The Basket

Warranty claim...goes back to the old Tiger 55 motto of not fit for purpose. Salt or nae salt.

Depends on nice dealer though.

The Z750 is no better.
Old 28-02-07, 11:14 AM   #8
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Basket View Post
Warranty claim...goes back to the old Tiger 55 motto of not fit for purpose. Salt or nae salt.
Well, motto is a bit strong! More of a rant that turned in to a whinge that became a world weary acceptance. Which is what the *******s are counting on of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Basket View Post
The Z750 is no better.
Well that's good to hear, didn't really want an IL4. Not for any ideological reasons you understand, just because I've had a couple and I think there are more engine configurations than I've got time to try.

So, um, maybe I should've bought the Buell? The Sportster? The Sprint? Not the Raptor, I figured that out by myself. The K1200R then, should've bought the Beemer.

Last edited by Tiger 55; 28-02-07 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Bugger - the K1200 is an IL4...
Old 28-02-07, 02:01 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Crap, isn't it. Very hard to prevent too, plastic wraps can fix it... WD40's overrated for this sort of thing, it's a very light oil and washes off too easily, but even ACF50 or FS365 isn't foolproof. But the best thing to do is to do what Suzuki should have done in the first place and powdercoat them, it's a bit of a hassle to do but not expensive (mine were £20 the pair in black) Or, warranty claim, you don't need to say "never seen salt" since it's a bike, not an ornament. But I'm not sure how likely that is to work.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-07, 05:15 PM   #10
kitkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger 55 View Post
Not the Raptor, I figured that out by myself. .

whats wrong with the raptor?