SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-09-05, 02:24 PM   #1
hazey1275

Default Help needed please......

Hoping someone will help me, i know i will be asking quetions that have been asked a thousand times. I had a bit of a collision with a mitsubishi warrior on thursday mornin and have damaged the lowers and upper left hand fairing. I was in the process of trading the bike in to get either a bandit 12 or sv 1000 unfaired, but obviously that idea has now bitten the dust.

Help needed:- Basically i want to streetfighter mv sv650s 2000, i need to know if the standard sv650 clocks will fit straight or will i have to modify the wiring loom?
I would like to know what gsxr front end bolts straight on and which rear shock would i need (15 stone)...

also as any one got any mad sv streetfighter pics for me for inspiration...

Ater staying up till 5am this morning reading various posts i know your all very helpful and any would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-09-05, 03:08 PM   #2
trick

front ends that'll bolt on are, GSXR 750 + 1000 from 2000 onwards, and the K4 GSXR600.

cant see any reaon why the clocks shouldnt just fit straight in as the 650/s are the same bike with a different dress.

there are also a heap load of plastics available to go on the front from pyramid plastics (mantis head is pretty nice)

TRICK
Old 10-09-05, 03:16 PM   #3
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

what he did not say is that if you change the front end you will also need diffrent wheel, brakes, front hugger. Also the speedo needs to be moved and a bit of modding is needed.

To fit nakid clocks you will need diffrent fitting, they fit with a mounting onto the forks while on the faired the bracing ataches to the headstock and also supports the lights and fairing.

From what i read the main loom is the same upto the connectors that join to another loom into the lights and speedo, that second short loom would need to be changed.

This is what an SV650S looks without the fairings.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-05, 03:19 PM   #4
trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
what he did not say is that if you change the front end you will also need diffrent wheel, brakes, front hugger. Also the speedo needs to be moved and a bit of modding is needed.
so sorry, 'he' thought that was obvious. to clarfiy, you will (as mentioned) need a complete front end (even a tyre, just in case anyone else wants to bring that up to)

TRICK
Old 10-09-05, 03:38 PM   #5
hazey1275

Thanks for the quick response , i have found some sv650 yokes on ebay, now i dont now what to do as they are £30, and i suppose it would be pretty expensive for a gsxr front end. What would you guys recomend

Any ideas on the rear shock
Old 10-09-05, 06:23 PM   #6
jonhunt

new shape one on ebay have a look

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-SV-650-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-09-05, 07:43 PM   #7
trick

you can get a set of gsxr yokes for that much too if you look around a bit, (salvage yards, breakers, scrappies, ebay) then all you need to do is get a custom stem, much cheaper and not as many mods needed to fit it. you can get a complete front end and install it for under 500 if your lucky, allow about 650 though and you;ll get some pretty damn nice kit in there too. im allowing about 700 (inc a new front tyre for mine as my front is shagged now from taking corners)
let me know how you gte on and we can work through the change together if you want. ill pm you my email address and we can hare search results and ideas to help the swap go a bit faster for both of us.

TRICK
Old 10-09-05, 07:54 PM   #8
kwak zzr

hazey1275 could'nt you find anything bigger to run in to?
hope you are ok err and can't answer your question sorry
Old 10-09-05, 08:09 PM   #9
trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr
hazey1275 could'nt you find anything bigger to run in to?
hope you are ok err and can't answer your question sorry
lmao, yeah, its not like it can sneak up on you or anything, lol
Old 10-09-05, 08:22 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

No GSXR front bolts straight onto the carbed bikes... Your best bet is to get a set of SRAD 750 yokes, which are a near perfect match for the ignition lock and steering lock stops, and have a very similiar geometry, and then either swap the stems (this requires a small spacer to be made for the top yoke as well, though) or simply get the Twin Works Factory top bearing, $60 delivered from the US and that makes the SRAD yokes a direct swap. I did the bearing swap, it's less of a faf and getting that spacer made looked to be a pain. For all the price difference (few quid either way) I chose the option that I could do myself in a few minutes, instead of the one that meant finding engineering companies to do work for me...

Then, you can fit a variety of forks into those 50mm yokes- I used K2 750 forks, but you could use more recent 750s if you want the radial brakes. I used a SRAD wheel and axle, as they look identical to the SV rear wheel- more recent ones are a little different, but still close. The SRAD ones (and TL1000S and R, and early Busa) can be had in the same colours as the SV too which saves you spraying or coating them. Plus they're well cheaper than newer ones.

The SRAD yokes are slightly wider than the more recent ones so I spaced the calipers in slightly with M8 stainless washers. Obviously, this prevents buying a complete front end since you're using bits from different bikes, you could use all SRAD 750 bits- I only used the K2 bits since they're that bit more recent and it's easier to find good ones (plus the mudguard's nicer)

The speedo drive for the SV's run off the front wheel, but I moved the speedo drive to the rear- old trick, but one which IMO had only ever been done badly till I perfected it (not that I'm smug or anything! ) and it's actually more accurate than stock... I've got a .doc writeup for this if you want it. Costs nothing to do short of a bit of time, if you own a grinder and you can solder a couple of wires.

It cost me, all in, around £600 I think- though that includes powdercoating both wheels, a new front tyre, and EBC Prolite discs. You could do it for a good bit cheaper if you're patient.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote