SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-03-07, 07:49 AM   #1
600+

Default Saving for a bigger bike.....which though?

Hey folks,

OK since I changed all the things I wanted on the SV by b4 Xmas I have now started saving hoping I can get something bigger next year.

SV is fine but not enough power for me - yes I know, where am I gonna use it but end of the day I just want sthing bigger.

I use the bike for commuting in the summer when the weather is nicer than this cr@p and for some trips. Not sure why but I have always loved the bussa and now they are bringing a new one out in 08 I just can't wait. zx-14 is also a possibility although I'm not sure I like the looks of it.

The question is though....is it worth it? Nice big fast supersport tourer bike OR do I just go for a thou?

Any suggestions please cause I can't make my mind up
Old 30-03-07, 08:10 AM   #2
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Re: Saving for a bigger bike.....which though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600+ View Post
Hey folks,

OK since I changed all the things I wanted on the SV by b4 Xmas I have now started saving hoping I can get something bigger next year.

SV is fine but not enough power for me - yes I know, where am I gonna use it but end of the day I just want sthing bigger.

I use the bike for commuting in the summer when the weather is nicer than this cr@p and for some trips. Not sure why but I have always loved the bussa and now they are bringing a new one out in 08 I just can't wait. zx-14 is also a possibility although I'm not sure I like the looks of it.

The question is though....is it worth it? Nice big fast supersport tourer bike OR do I just go for a thou?

Any suggestions please cause I can't make my mind up
I personally would air on the side of a thou. I really don't like the looks of the busa or the zx-14 - they just seem so big and bulky. I have seen a number of people use GSXR-1000 as sports tourers as the riding position isn't as focused as the other thou's plus some raised clip-ons and a taller screen should make it pretty comfy! Plus it looks much nicer!

Alternatively - what about something like a Triumph Sprint ST?
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-07, 08:17 AM   #3
DanAbnormal

Honda VFR800, awesome bike. Hornet 900, again awesome and much quicko. If it's a supersports you want go for it but it won't be the comfiest commuter bike (but you'll get there quick). I just bought a Z1000.......mmmmmm. As you can tell I love naked bikes.

What about a Blackbird? Comfy, handles well (better than you would think, even better when you fit dogbones on the rear) and good for 186mph.
Old 30-03-07, 08:30 AM   #4
600+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_dan View Post
Honda VFR800, awesome bike. Hornet 900, again awesome and much quicko. If it's a supersports you want go for it but it won't be the comfiest commuter bike (but you'll get there quick). I just bought a Z1000.......mmmmmm. As you can tell I love naked bikes.

What about a Blackbird? Comfy, handles well (better than you would think, even better when you fit dogbones on the rear) and good for 186mph.
yeah not very keen on another naked really

the vfr is an option but i like the sportier look
Old 30-03-07, 08:32 AM   #5
600+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
I personally would air on the side of a thou. I really don't like the looks of the busa or the zx-14 - they just seem so big and bulky. I have seen a number of people use GSXR-1000 as sports tourers as the riding position isn't as focused as the other thou's plus some raised clip-ons and a taller screen should make it pretty comfy! Plus it looks much nicer!

Alternatively - what about something like a Triumph Sprint ST?

I agree that the gixxer looks much nicer just wondering how comfy it would be though.

Not looked at Triumphs really - but will look into it now
Old 30-03-07, 08:34 AM   #6
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600+ View Post
yeah not very keen on another naked really

the vfr is an option but i like the sportier look
Fair do's. I have to say that pretty much all modern SS600's (gixxer, ninja and cbr600rr) are way fast enough for road use, imho a litre bike is a overkill on our roads (or any road really) unless you plan on many trackdays. Just my opinion of course. Test ride some 600's you may be surprised. I was alwys led to believe that they would have no low down grunt, not tha case. Good luck anyways.
Old 30-03-07, 08:38 AM   #7
600+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_dan View Post
Fair do's. I have to say that pretty much all modern SS600's (gixxer, ninja and cbr600rr) are way fast enough for road use, imho a litre bike is a overkill on our roads (or any road really) unless you plan on many trackdays. Just my opinion of course. Test ride some 600's you may be surprised. I was alwys led to believe that they would have no low down grunt, not tha case. Good luck anyways.
very true what you say

when I test rode a gixxer 600 after about 1hr on the motorway my wrists were killing me and I've heard it's a common thing because of the riding position on it
Old 30-03-07, 08:46 AM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

In that case, don't over look the Z750 either they do a half faired one, don't like the new shape but you can get some new 06 models at really good prices, had a ride on one last year, they do the SS6 thing but are a better riding position and keep up the old fashion way (more cc's).

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-07, 08:47 AM   #9
Flamin_Squirrel

The older GSXRs (k2/3) have a more relaxed riding position I believe.
Old 30-03-07, 09:00 AM   #10
Amanda M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
In that case, don't over look the Z750 either they do a half faired one, don't like the new shape but you can get some new 06 models at really good prices, had a ride on one last year, they do the SS6 thing but are a better riding position and keep up the old fashion way (more cc's).

Cheers Mark.
I'm thinking of getting a Z750 - what did you think of the seat height on it? Lower or higher than an SV?

Amanda