SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-06-08, 12:25 AM   #1
jamie192

Default Camchain tensioner?

Hello there,

This is my first post.

I joined the site because i am fixing a friends sv650 for him and i have seen alot of useful info from this site and its very good search facility, just wanted to cross check a few things.

The engine is rattling, sounds more like chain slap.
The noise is coming from the rear cylinder head under, on the right hand side, Very obvously the right using the screwdriver-ear test. Im thinking cam tensioner is the problem here?

I have also found the cam tensioner and can just about get to it after a few burnt fingers from the exhaust

Is it best to take thew rocker cover off the top to check for any damage or anything or just try fix the tensioner problem at hand, the bike is still running fine and has is not being ridden, was just started to locate the noise.

If i take the tensioner out will i have any problems or have to adjust timing or anything?

Also i am planning on getting a hayes manual tomorrow but just wanted to clear these few things up before attacking it as i have not worked on a sv before.

Thanks for looking and sorry for the essay.

Cheers Jamie
Old 03-06-08, 12:44 AM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Help Needed Please!

the cam chain tensioner has a 10mm headed bolt in it, don't remove the tensioner itself, but only the bolt, using a thin elextrical flat blade screwdriver, reach in the bolt hold and you'll feel the blade bit in the grove inside, turn it clockwise as far as it will go, which will pull back the tensioner inside against it's spring (it's get harder to do up as you go), then just pull back the screwdriver and the tensioner inside will snap back out, then just replace the bolt.

It's a well know problem for them to stick, I'd do both whilst you're there, Oh and leave the bike to cool down to save your knuckles.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 09:37 PM   #3
jamie192

Default Re: Camchain tensioner?

Ok played around with the tensioner today, it is a 2003 model by the way, took the bolt off and a spring came out. Took off the rocker cover and the cam chain was tight. Started it up and it was quiet for about 1 minute, but as soon as rode it it started knocking again, its a very loud knocking. and its coming from the top right of the rear cyclinder head, im thinking now tappets or valve clearences?

Is there any chance the tensioner has been loose and then one of the cams has slipped, he said the noise came on quite suddenly.

Any info would be good, cheers.