SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-12-05, 11:11 PM   #1
svrash

Default Starter motor servicing

Has any one attempted this job? Is it expensive for brushes/contacts? Is it worth it?

My reason for asking is that with winter starting and this motor doing over 65k, would servicing it make it more efficient at its job?
Old 27-12-05, 12:20 AM   #2
Mike1234

Not sure if they are interchangeable but I've got a starter motor from a K4 fuel injected bike for sale.

I would guess it would be easier/cheaper than servicing the old one.
Old 27-12-05, 09:51 AM   #3
John Burt

If the motor is working then why are you worried, a general clean and a check of the brshes should suffice - IMHO you arre more likely to experience problems with the starter clutch than the motor.
Old 27-12-05, 10:58 AM   #4
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234
Not sure if they are interchangeable but I've got a starter motor from a K4 fuel injected bike for sale.

I would guess it would be easier/cheaper than servicing the old one.
They are the same.

The bits that would normally wear may not cost that much but I always like the 'easier' option so would always go for a good replacement myself. Infact almost most definitely better to get a replace as it would depend on what you find need replacing.

Example
Brush terminal set is about £20

Are you having problems with yours or just trying to be prepared due to milage etc. If that is the case then look for a good used one at a great price.

Saying that I'm with John Burt . I would not even think about it if it's working great. No need to clean brushes etc. When it goes then I'll do something.

Always good to have a few spares though

Cheers
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-05, 03:59 PM   #5
RandyO

A block heater of some type would be more effective in helping winter starting, I keep my engine in good tune, it starts easily down to about zero (-15°C) once it gets below zero, I need to get my bike heated up with my salamander before I start it.
Old 27-12-05, 05:32 PM   #6
andyaikido

RandyO you must have some decent gear to ride in -15c. I take the salamander you use to warm your bike up is not the lizard-type creature i'm thinking of.
Old 27-12-05, 11:55 PM   #7
svrash

Go on then PM me prices for a starter motor and i'll consider the cheapest one

P.S. Don't forget to give me the approx mileage of the bike it came from
Old 28-12-05, 12:25 AM   #8
RandyO

Default Re: Starter motor servicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by svrash
Has any one attempted this job? Is it expensive for brushes/contacts? Is it worth it?

My reason for asking is that with winter starting and this motor doing over 65k, would servicing it make it more efficient at its job?
65k? why do you think the starter needs refurbishing? I have 123k, and still starts like the day I bought it 6 years ago
Old 28-12-05, 06:12 AM   #9
Jimmie

Yo Randy, what's up with our site? I've been trying all day. Jimmie. Like RandyO said, starter at that low miles? Should'nt need it. And what's so hard about servicing a starter? I mean come on. We're talkin basic's here. Brushes, commutator. ABC's. DUH !!!